No announcement yet.

Skunk remedies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thing that works well is to plug a radio in, tuned to the loudest rock station in the area, crank it up and place it in their home 24/7. Give them a week and they'll relocate. All your neighbours might too.

Comment

Shooting it in the head does NOT provide a sprayfreee kill. They do need to be pestered a fair amount before they cut loose. I would try the live trap and ever so carefully cover it up before moving or releasing any captives. Then you need to close the holes up under the structure. Usually woodchucks make most of the dens, with other animals takiing them over when abandened. Lady I work with had one spray her dog in her backyard last year. The dog got INSIDE the house before they could stop him! It was really nasty for her. The dog actually spread some of the still liquid scent onto some furniture and bedding. NASTY!

Comment

one of those wire traps... can of tuna fish... trap skunk.... put on gloves and get a large blanket to hold in front of you.... put blanket over cage.... relocate skunk....

dont you guys watch billy the exterminator?

Comment

..Which pretty much echos what the animal control lady told me...but, once the heavy blanket is over it...how about putting some rebar around the edges to hold it down flat, then slipping a tube carefully through a hole...a tube that is hooked up to your vehicle quietly idling nearby...sleep, my little friend...sleep....

Seems like it might be safer than trying to carry the basket "Loaded" ..and its a pretty humane way to send it on its way. You could fill the enclosure with argon or nitrogen...but that costs more, and the hissing sound might be hard to get around.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Well, I tried EVERY type of bait you guy's have mentioned, plus some of my own inventions.
            Nothing has worked.
            There must be someone in the area that is leaving something they can get to, and by the time they are back at my place, they are not hungry.

I started pouring amonia in the holes in hopes to get them to vacate.
            I'll see if that works.

Comment

A farmer friend suggested taking chunks of ordinary plastic sponge cut to about an inch cubes, twisting them tight, then dropping them in bacon grease. They are swallowed whole and don't come out.

He also suggested "snail poison" (no brand specified) as its apparently effective and his game warden buddy recommended it.

I started pouring amonia in the holes in hopes to get them to vacate.
              I'll see if that works.
              Throw in some bleach (DO NOT mix outside the hole) and phosgene the buggers.
              Last edited by monckywrench; 01-29-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

12 guage and a flashlight make sure the wind is right and you will be fine

Comment

My uncle catches them in his garden with a Hav-a-hart trap. Then he gets a black lawn leaf bag and cuts it open to make a black sheet, holds it in front of him, and walks slowly up to the trap. He says if they don't see you coming they don't get upset. When he reaches the trap he slowly drops the plastic over the trap, covering all sides loosely, and then picks up the trap by the top handle which he feels for through the plastic. He then carries the plastic and trap over to his utility trailer and sets it slowly into the trailer, which is attached to his car. A trip across town (about 5 miles) and they get released into a wilderness area, but not until he takes a mug shot of them. He has mug shots for 46 skunks, 33 raccoons, and 11 possums on his garage wall. As best as he can tell he has never had a repeat offender, and he has never been sprayed or bitten in the 20+ years that he has been doing this. He said that many times, when it is time to release them, he has to wake them up to get them to leave the trap. He uses tuna fish and/or mackerel as the bait.

Charley

Miller MM 252
                  Miller Bobcat
                  Miller DialArc HF TIG / DIY Cooler
                  2 Victor Torch Sets
                  2 Miller Digital Elite helmets
                  3 misc. helmets
                  Milwaukee -
                  Dry Cut Chop Saw
                  Dry Cut Circular Saw
                  4-4 1/2" Grinders
                  9" Grinder
                  5 Ton Wallace Gantry
                  Misc. benders, etc.
                  Lots of tools

Comment

i always thought skunks ate snakes and bugs and about anything else, thats why i didnt kill them..

Comment

Originally posted by brucer View Post
                      i always thought skunks ate snakes and bugs and about anything else, thats why i didnt kill them..
                      http://www.havahart.com/advice/critt...ol/skunk-baits

Comment

moth ball will not work. I the skunk wants to be there it will move them. I watched one carry one across the yard. You have to remove there food source in our case it was slugs once we got ride of the slugs the skunks left. W also used cridder rid or pepper worked well

Comment

Once the skunk is in the trap, drowning it will prevent scent release. The skunk doesn't recognize water as a "spray releasing" type threat.

Thurmond
                          Miller Bobcat 3 Phase,
                          26 series gas cooled TIG torch, setup for quick connect to Bobcat.
                          Miller Suitcase X-Treme 12VS
                          SuperCut 50P plasma cutter returned after issues for EVERLAST PowerUltra 205P
                          Hobart Handler 187 Mig / Flux Core
                          Standard Oxygen / Acetylene Cutting, Welding setup.

Comment

I do what charleyl suggested, I will cover the trap with a big moving blanket and then slowly put them in the back of my truck and relocate. remember that the skunk will be asleep in the day so 90 percent of the time the skunk is asleep and will not be a problem. To get rid of any skunk smell I learned that when my dog would grab them and shake them. I would just go to the store and buy the biggest bottles of imitation vanilla extract and pour it all of the dog. next day take the dog for a swim or hose him off. no smell at all, even when the dog gets wet. if you like the smell of skunk, go ahead and shoot it....not my first choice
                            I use to put mothballs in a small plastic bowl and pour ammonia over them and place them in the area, it has worked too. good luck.

Comment

I used to microwave a hamburger until it was warm and oozing grease, put it on a white paper plate at night and pop them with a .22

That or fox urine, works for keeping critters out of air conditioners.

Comment

Skunk Remedies

Have you achieved your goal yet of getting ride of your skunk issue. If yes, let us know here at http://www.hobartwelders.com how you did it.

Comment

Working...
                                X