Country living, with city ammenities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Country living, with city ammenities

It's odd, they way Chicago is expanding up here, you can actually be out in the middle of no where, and still be within half hour's distance to a fairly large city. While right now I live in the 'burbs of chicago, because of various reasons I will be moving in the next 6 months to 1 year. Don't really have a choice, can't afford to keep the place I'm in now. Besides, I'm tired of living inside a tuna can. Neighbor to the north of me sneezes and the neighbor to the south is passing me a box of kleenex.

Seen one property already that I wish we could jump on now. Modest 5 acer "farmette" with 6 bedroom farm house, 2 car garage, pole building, pig pen, and corn crib.... only asking 100k!!! and that's only 30 miles south of Rockford Illinois!

Jax
    Lincoln 3200 (175?)

Sounds like a deal to me. Better jump on it before its to late. Be surprised how a little 5 acre site can keep you busy but it sure is fun to have a place where you can get away from city life.

Comment

Wish I could, I'm still having issues finding work. Credit is really bad right now. Although, I do have two interviews already setup for next week as is.

On the brite side of things. Because we're "low income", already had an organization called Ceda/liheap came in and replaced 8 of our windows with new thermal dual panes and replaced a door! Now we're working with our local township. Due to our situation, I haven't been able to keep up with the property, so much in fact we recieved a few citations for blight. When I explained to the township why I wasn't keeping up with things, they told me about a little known HUD backed loan to bring our home up to code and take care of all the blight issues.

It's a really sweet program, zero percent interest and you don't have to make a payment until house is sold. And they will do repairs up to 30k!

I just need to get atleast a temp job, so I can pay off other bills and wait out this slow down in the real estate market. I've already had a real estate agent in, because of the slow market he's telling me that we should list at 190k, and hope we get 170k for our preseant home. Thing is, we still have a 130k mortgage and around another 30k in miss bills combined between the two of us, add the hud loan and we wouldn't have enough for a down stroke for anything else! I did some research, houses on my block have been selling for 240-260k receintly.

Optimally, to keep things all straight, when we go to purchase the next home, we want to have enough down on it, that should I have to quit any temp jobs in this area, I we can survive on my mother's nominal SS until I find a new job where any potential home we find. The area this home I mentioned is 90+ miles from where I live now, there's no way I could look for work near this area now and commute until we find a place, especailly since we really don't have a confirmed time frame as to when we'll make the move. It's all a matter of how much I can make temping or if I find that ideal welding position. (There is a shop I applied to that I'm waiting to hear from, that I REALLY hope I get... start out as welder's helper/apprentice welder... willing to teach all froms of welding, and blue prints as well as other machine shop tools! Oy! I hope I get it!!!)

Anywho, sorry for rambling on and on. It's 11am, and I've a ton of work to get done today... Alot to do this week before city inspectors come in!

Jax
      Lincoln 3200 (175?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxom View Post
        (There is a shop I applied to that I'm waiting to hear from, that I REALLY hope I get... start out as welder's helper/apprentice welder... willing to teach all froms of welding, and blue prints as well as other machine shop tools! Oy! I hope I get it!!!)

Jax
        We had a talk at lunch time one night....yougest was 28 oldest was 60.
        the consensus was :
        Way back you went an interview and a dude decided if he thought you could fullfill his needs "period pretty much".

From the younger guys and those like myself that have had to find jobs recently.........It seems ?!?!???!!

That you go to an interview and a dude decides , if he/she likes you pretty much.

Now obviously a little of each case still aplys in the other .......
        but I'm convinced this is another of those things that has transitioned over the years.

For what it's worth "try to estimate how your personallity is coming across".

Luck doesn't hurt either.....the guy hired before I was was in the final inview with the H.R. babe.
        A big-a$$ spider came up on the desk ....she nearly came out of her clothes ...and he said he mashed it with his hand and wiped it on the sole of his boot. She adored him and recomended imediate hire.

Go figure.
        sigpicViceGrip
        Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Didn't get it! I did grab a temp job, doing what ever it takes to pay the bills and hopefull get more classes done this winter.

Jax
          Lincoln 3200 (175?)

Comment

Work History

With that job you could be starting a work history for the future.
            SEE YUW
            CLaypool

Comment

Work History # 2

One advice I all ways try to give is to keep a small note book for starting + finishing dates for jobs. Your memory will fade on dates as time goes on.
              SEE YUW
              Claypool

Comment

Make your self a resume. If you have Microsoft word they have templates for resumes the are tailored to our occupations. You basically delete the examples and fill in your information. Anyway good luck I am on the job hunt again myself its hard to not get discouraged.
                Matt

MM 175
                Ideal arc 250

Comment

Move up to the milwaukee 'burbs. You can get a welding job nooooo problem up here. And there are plenty of old farmhouses to buy

Comment

I'd love to move to wisconsin, close enough to my daughter, if I lived right over the border in say kenosha and yet it would cost lest then living in the burbs of chicago.

AND I already have the pre-requisit 17 fishing poles and five tackle boxes!!!

Now if we could only find someone to buy our house in this market and pay us enough to move!
                    Lincoln 3200 (175?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxom View Post

AND I already have the pre-requisit 17 fishing poles and five tackle boxes!!!
                      Do you like Brats? Do you have a pair of pack boots so you can go out on the ice and stay there?

Can you tell I have visited up 'Nort' in the middle of winter 'eah?
                      Robert

Snap-on (Century) 110 Mig
                      Ridgid Chop Saw
                      Makita 4" Grinder
                      Quite a collection of scrap

Functional Stuff is painted, my art rusts.

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes. - Winston Chruchill

Comment

They also have a 12 step program for Bears fans when they move to Wisconsin, LOL (sorry i couldnt resist temptation)
                        WELDCKR
                        HOBART BETA MIG
                        MILLER XMT 350
                        LINCOLN SQUARE WAVE 175
                        MILLER 3080 PLASMA
                        WHOLE BUNCH OF DEWALT STUFF
                        Remember "its to close to the weekend to get hurt now"

Comment

Working...
                        X