Probably a bad idea but still curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a bad idea but still curious

Would it be possible to weld two PTO shafts together and it function on a heavier duty bush hog. I’m using a Champion elite 225 arc welder/generator so I don’t think getting the metal hot enough would be a problem I’m just curious to know if the weld would be able to handle the torque required to run on a bush hog going through thicker brush. If this is possible what would be the best approach to ensure that I’m getting the strongest weld.

Generally the PTO shaft is sized to march the power requirement of the implement.... Not sure how you would "weld the two shafts together"..... IF you are contemplation to weld it solid so it does not telescope.... DONT, it needs to have a bit of motion as BH rumbles over the terrain... Welding shaft solid will eventually take out PTO drive in tractor ($$$) or the gear box on BH...
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
      Generally the PTO shaft is sized to march the power requirement of the implement.... Not sure how you would "weld the two shafts together"..... IF you are contemplation to weld it solid so it does not telescope.... DONT, it needs to have a bit of motion as BH rumbles over the terrain... Welding shaft solid will eventually take out PTO drive in tractor ($$$) or the gear box on BH...
      I’m not wanting to stop the telescoping I’d like to extend the outer shaft by about 1-2 feet

Comment

Originally posted by Randomfarmer7 View Post

I’m not wanting to stop the telescoping I’d like to extend the outer shaft by about 1-2 feet
        Probably can be done, as long as you have exacting alignment and use appropriate material and quality welds.... Any misalignment on a rotating shaft though is going to cause a lot of vibration and probably eat any shaft support bearings...

You might want to visit some of the tractor forums and see what some of the more experienced people there think of your idea...

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/
        Last edited by Dale M.; 07-31-2021, 08:28 AM.
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

What does the shaft look like? Most of them you can replace the shaft or sleeve by driving roll pin out of the u-joint carrier. Fairly in-expensive compared to a new shaft.
          https://www.agrisupply.com/tubing/c/3500016/

Comment

Working...
          X