help design construction loft in steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help design construction loft in steel

hello, for space problems I should make a small loft to create an elevated platform to use as a sort of raised storage room for storing objects and utensils, some suggestions size: three meters long, two meters deep, two meters high to define base the material to be used. I had thought of a tubular iron box for the supporting frame, for the wooden plank floor, how would you do it? thanks for collaboration. if you had photos or drawings, I would be very grateful, so that I can draw inspiration or inspiration to make my product. thanks

any constructive suggestions? what material would you use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	struttura.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	706907

Comment

How will this be supported by present building structure? What total weight do you estimate this structure will support?

Are you looking for free engineering? I would be reluctant to do any thing like this, without overbuilding and/or consulting a structural engineer. Do you have to obtain a permit?
      Last edited by Northweldor; 12-13-2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I do not have to load the structure with excessive loads, it is only a small storage space a raised platform, I will not go to load it with the forklift or the pallet rack type crane. I would like to realize a sturdy tubular frame, like a construction scaffolding but very sturdy and stable, I don't want a free project by architect or engineer just some constructive suggestions, I want to use metal box 80/40 x 3 mm thick or 100x 50 x 3 mm thick. a light, unpretentious structure. sorry if you thought I wanted to steal a job from a technical professional. if you have any suggestions let me know I will do it under my responsibility thank you

Name:	mezzanine-heavy-.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	706912 h

https://shedblog.com.au/diy-mezzanine-floor/

Comment

Originally posted by marruggio View Post
          I do not have to load the structure with excessive loads, it is only a small storage space a raised platform, I will not go to load it with the forklift or the pallet rack type crane. I would like to realize a sturdy tubular frame, like a construction scaffolding but very sturdy and stable, I don't want a free project by architect or engineer just some constructive suggestions, I want to use metal box 80/40 x 3 mm thick or 100x 50 x 3 mm thick. a light, unpretentious structure. sorry if you thought I wanted to steal a job from a technical professional. if you have any suggestions let me know I will do it under my responsibility thank you

Sorry for the sloppy wording, but the point I was suggesting is that if you really want light-weight material that will do what you require, i would spend a few hundred on consulting an engineer, and you would likely recover that in reduced material costs. For instance, I would use 4'x4x1/4" for each of the uprights and 4x2x1/4" for the peripheral square, using the lighter materials you suggest for the purlins. As i said, without an engineering opinion, most weldors will overbuild. However, an engineer would probably suggest some kind of formed warehouse shelving material that would do what you want, at lower cost and weight. eg:

https://www.konstant.com/en/racking-...yAAEgKV0PD_BwE

Still need the 2 questions above answered, before any opinion.
          Last edited by Northweldor; 12-13-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I should put the 3.70 meter high iron in a shed. in iron and brick on the ground there is a concrete floor, I believe it will have to bear a maximum of 500kg. as maximum range thanks for your suggestion

in essence, a sturdy shelf would be like a shelf given its small size and surface

Comment

For 500 kg, I would get used shelving material, which is engineered to take more than that weight, and is far lighter, stiffer, and can be welded or bolted. Also, these guys have free-standing mezzanines, if you want to buy something already engineered. Available used, and sometimes very cheap, anywhere there are big box stores.

As well, if you don't require frequent access for larger objects, you might consider a trapdoor with a 12 volt winch in one corner. and a pull down attic ladder for access rather, than a stairway. I built one like this to store vintage car parts, that weighed about 1500 kg. We used trusses for the length, rather than tubing, and saved on railing.

Comment

thank you for your right suggestion if I had some photos to take inspiration I would be very grateful, I would like to create two U-upside-down portals and I would like to combine them with two longitudinal beams, as the frame of the structure, inside I would like to weld the cross-pieces on which to place the platform of the platform, I don't know if I can explain myself. anyway thanks for the suggestions, better boxed type tubular type or strong beams profil H type from shed, which more resistant and economic in your opinion? thanks

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkT0HsIU0luu2j0laLt58myyuhOeP33sPfHT_FfXI5E7FyMqOq&s.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	706949

https://nexusworkspace.co.uk/mezzani...zanine-floors/

Name:	Mezzanine-Elements-Drawing.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	706950

Comment

There are hundreds of types of I-Beams, H-beams etc, and there are tables for the standard types that will give the load -bearing of each type over a specific span. If you want to make this larger or, to bear more weight than the 500kg you specified, you should look at them. Otherwise, the used shelving i suggested would do. Another suggestion would be to use wood, for that weight, with a combination of engineered beams, for the limited weight you want.

You still haven't said how this will be attached to or supported by the shed.

Comment

Working...
                  X