No announcement yet.

Stuck lever

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nipper, Pay attention to oldguyfrom56. He has the perfect mind (wide ranging and think-out-of-the-box) to help you solve this. Additional photos would be of assistance. Photos of your particular machine would help. So would an "exploded" diagram from the literature. Talk with other tractor owners who have tried remove their hoes after many years of being installed. Dealers sometimes, alas, aren't of much help. They work on NEW (mostly) machines. New machines behave just like the literature promises. Your dealer might be able to provide you with names and phone numbers of his customers who have a similar age tractor as yours. Ask them of their experiences. Dale gave excellent advice. Look at those jaws. They are gigantic compared with your little lever. Those jaws will completely override and negate any force that you are putting on the lever. Support the hoe portion COMPLETELY. Set up a gantry or some other form of overhead support. Slowly raise and lower the hoe as you are trying to move the lever. Put a jack under the side of the tractor and raise and lower it a little as you are trying to move the lever. Still no luck? Do both: Raise and lower the hoe and raise and lower the tractor at the same time you are trying to move the lever. You are trying to get the hoe and the tractor into a neutral position compared with each other. THEN worry about the lever not moving the shaft in the way that you want. Still no luck? Talk with experienced (elderly) mechanics who work on the big brothers of your machine. Maybe of a different brand but similar attachment mechanism. Hang in there, Nipper, you can do this. ~0le
    "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

OG is a good man as most of the regular posters here are. It takes time to write some of the replies I see here and I appreciate it.
      I wish some of you people had a YouTube channel.
      "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
      Compressions 9.7:1

Comment

There is tons of information on youtube, lots dealing with similar problems as yours.... Probably just different hardware than yours though.... Unfortunately on youtube there is also lots of bad advice from people who do not know what they are doing, makes problem worse, and endangers their life, limbs and property..... Have really good BS filter and have it on highest setting when you cruise YT.....

Dale
        Last edited by Dale M.; 04-08-2019, 09:23 AM.
        Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Nipper View Post
          I wish some of you people had a YouTube channel.
          Nipper, I'm glad you brought that up. The thought has crossed my mind more then once or twice. Especially after watching a Miller video recently. The importance of stick out? Good gravy...2'49" I'm not getting back.

Nice snazzy production and promo, but for educational value, 4/10. I'm a tough critic.
          Then I thought, if I had half that budget to work with the things I'd do to produce 2'49" of better value to Joe public. Yea... I think I could.

Getting past that...I'm a story teller. Ask the question, do you want to know the importance of stick out, or know why stick out is important? Big difference. The former is a line of print, the latter a Readers Digest short story. Or 2'49" of better video content.

I'm thinking that it would almost make more sense to do a video reply to draw and sketch some explanation with the commentary rather then type out the 1000 words to make a picture. But I don't, I type with two fingers and hope it makes sense to someone for the effort.

I don't have Mapp. I assume it was Mapp/02 not Mapp/air you were using for heating? I could bore you with primary and secondary flame temps. The reason behind tip design and configuration. A little talk about fuel to oxygen ratio's for combustion. Volume of heat energy, those BTU's? Thinking about it, 2'49" of video would be quicker maybe?

I'll also ask, were you heating with a cutting torch attachment or rosebud heating tip? And were they designed for Mapp, or are you running it thru Acetylene or Propane tips?

As far as the suggestion for video, in some ways it seems like work but I'm warming up to it. Just take an effort to do so. Like most who went from the days of records and reel to reel, to 8 tracks, cassettes, C64, Apple, Beta, VHS, Laser discs, CD's Blu rays and digital formats, the idea has been for me to think lately to throw money again at technology? That's a hard sell let me tell you.

Back when the internet was free range, I was a welding technology information down loader. Could be time to put that stuff back where it came from? Some of it anyways?

For the record...I did recently open a You Tube account. Look at me go right? Well, time will tell if it goes any further? It was that 2'49" that prompted that push. But I like the way your thinking about things, I do something about it I'll let you know.

Comment

Want to bet its one of these, nipper is trying to use....

Might as well be using a candle...

Dale
            Last edited by Dale M.; 03-25-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

You should do the videos OG or at least try one. You might even get paid! Let me know if you do.

As for the torch it is a Bernzomatic 4000. Had to try something. : )
              95.62% of my problem is the tractor is out at my land which is wilderness. Limited resources like electricity and tools makes things a little tougher. If I had it in my garage it would be done. I'm sure I will get it one way or another.

Comment

Hahahaha Dale, You beat me by SECONDS. BUSTED.

Comment

Oh Nipper, I can feel the disappointment from here. Yup, that wasn't going to cut it. You know, they make little OAW bottle sets just for times like those times. Tote torches. Most avoid them because they hold little for gas, empty way too quick, and are expensive to fill compared to volume they hold. However, I did a lot of maintenance work and found added in the cost, it was a tool to be used in a given time and place. Yours would have been one of those times. They actually last longer then you think when cutting and heating, although concern has to be given not to exceed the draw rate of the Acetylene cylinder.

Comment

Those little torch sets are a bad thing around here. You have to buy the torch/regulator/hose seperately and buy the tanks from the local gas stores, they will not fill the tanks from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. The reason eludes me at the moment but I know several who tried and had to purchase new tanks.

The good news is the lever is attached to the block shaft with roll pins..... The little torch was able to generate enough heat to let me get those loose. When I go back I can knock the roll pins out and move the block with a crow bar or something. Then I can remove the rear tire and the backhoe and have plenty of room to work on it. I WILL get it!

Comment

Part of the problem is they have to fill cylinders of the same size when they refill. Not enough little one's to be filled at anyone time so they sit and wait for more to collect. The other is labor costs to handle them. Small or large, they have to be hooked up and un hooked. That and a lot of the time, they are shipped off to be filled some place else a distance away once enough are collected.
                      That said, the next size up are still manageable as far as weight is concerned, but they won't be easy to carry as a set. Also, while location does and will play a role in refilling, it's effort, time and money saved that will decide a value in ownership.

As far as getting it I'm sure you will.

Comment

I "own" a set of cylinders, 55cu-ft oxy and acetylene "B" and have Victor 100J (or is it J100) series of torches.... Anything less is just play toys in my opinion.... I can go to almost any gas supplier and never have a issue exchanging tanks.....

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Nipper View Post
                          Those little torch sets are a bad thing around here. You have to buy the torch/regulator/hose seperately and buy the tanks from the local gas stores, they will not fill the tanks from Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. The reason eludes me at the moment but I know several who tried and had to purchase new tanks.

The good news is the lever is attached to the block shaft with roll pins..... The little torch was able to generate enough heat to let me get those loose. When I go back I can knock the roll pins out and move the block with a crow bar or something. Then I can remove the rear tire and the backhoe and have plenty of room to work on it. I WILL get it!
                          Well? Are we there yet? Got a genset?

https://www.lowes.ca/grill-tools-acc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Have not been back out yet.... Why the link for a charcoal starter?
                            Last edited by Nipper; 04-08-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Induction heating. A simple way to avoid the use of gas to heat, expand and hopefully free the part? Just an after thought to the problem. My daughter melted a kettle to a burner and I suggested she open some windows and burn it off. She didn't, I ended up scraping and chipping hard plastic, and using a small air and propane torch for the residue. It was then looking at the burner I was heating that I thought how simple a open window and electricity would have been. Followed with I had the brain fart of induction heat to solve your problem.

Comment

Your whiz-bang charcoal lighter is not induction heating... It is induced heat.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_heating

Dale
                                Last edited by Dale M.; 04-08-2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X