Stuck lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck lever

This might be off topic but there are some smart people here... Hoping someone can help.

I have a Kubota tractor with a backhoe on it that has never been off that I know of....
    There are two levers that release the backhoe but both of them are seized up solid. I have tried everything to move them but they won't budge.

I have tried heat, penetrating oil, beating the h*** out of them with a mallet and various persuader and pry bars which only result in the levers bending.

The Kubota Dealer tried and gave up.

The levers are mounted on a 1/2" rod.

Picture of the lever below and the white arrow shows where the shaft is that is froze up. Shaft and sleeve is about 2.5" long.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Nipper; 03-22-2019, 01:19 PM.
    "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
    Compressions 9.7:1

Picture seems to be broken.... At least for me...

How about asking question in Kubota Forum in some place like "TractorByNet"...

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota/

Dale

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
      Picture seems to be broken.... At least for me...

How about asking question in Kubota Forum in some place like "TractorByNet"...

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota/

Dale
      Tried that but thanks! Picture looks fine here, not sure why it wouldn't work for you.

Comment

When in doubt a second opinion is a good thing, I don't see them either?

Comment

Not sure what's going on.... I can see the picture. I will post it again here (or try to).
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 6.30.41 PM.png
Views:	106
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	704131

Comment

I see red paint. You mentioned you heated it up? I'm wondering where? I'm going to suggest a few more pictures and some explanation on whether it's the lever you're trying to slide off the shaft, or getting the shaft to turn by rotating the lever to release something?
            Either way, if you want to break it free thru expansion, you have to heat it enough to burn the paint.

Then again, you could also drill a few small hole into it and try again with some penetrating fluid to loosen the rust.

Comment

This picture is not my machine but it is the exact same machine. I got the picture from the tractor forum where another person has the problem and someone is showing how it should work.

The picture here shows the tractor with the jaws opened and the lever pushed forward with the backhoe off.

The paint on mine is all burnt off and one lever re-welded back on from where the dealer broke it off trying to get it to move. You wouldn't think something could rust that tight...... Its every bit as strong as a weld! Grief! : )

I thought about drilling it but I am afraid it would just fuse it more. I can't believe Kubota didn't put a grease fitting on it, the machine has them on everything but these handles. I used a 6' spud bar to pull on it but the lever just bends and its pretty stout.

Comment

Well that explains things somewhat? Clear as mud. Might I suggest then remove the spring, remove the bolts, disassemble, clean, and try again with less parts to be moved? I'm still uncertain if you need to expand something or create shrinkage, or how /what holds the lever to the shaft? if that is even where the problem is?
                It may seem obvious to you but to us reading, seeing the one picture...apply the cream and if it doesn't clear up on it's own, get worse, come back and see me again in a week.

Comment

You're missing it OG....

That picture is showing a tractor that already has the backhoe OFF. I cannot take those jaws you see apart with the backhoe ON because they hold the backhoe on and it weighs over a thousand pounds. IF I tried that it would fall down uncontrollably and kill me or hurt me a lot and then bend the other jaw and I would hate all that. I used that picture because one could not get a real good picture of the lever when the backhoe is on the tractor.

So, forget all that taking things apart stuff.

All I need is to get that lever the white arrow is pointing at to move. Think of it as a 2.5" long rod that is .5" in diameter that was stuck in a pipe and it all rusted together. It seems the problem is its a bit to long (and horizontal) for penetrating oil to get through. : )

Comment

The thing I'm missing is more and better pictures. The mechanism in the picture is open, attachment off. I get that. Yours is attached, I get that as well. That's all I get however, beside it looks the pipe on shaft maybe attaches and moves something?

"There are two levers that release the backhoe but both of them are seized up solid. I have tried everything to move them but they won't budge."

So what am I missing? Releasing the backhoe isn't removal of the attachment?

"I cannot take those jaws you see apart with the backhoe ON because they hold the backhoe on and it weighs over a thousand pounds."

I assumed that lever opened and closed the jaw? I assumed the hoe attachment would be relaxed and supported before doing so? I assumed with more room to work it'd be easier for the effort? I assumed that you also gave it a solid effort to heat it, penetrating oil it, and hammer on it as well? I wondering why you need to do it in the first place if not to remove it?

It's the end of the day. You haven't gotten it. Dealer gave up.
                    Here's your fix. Forget trying to free it up. Grind to split and spread the pipe. Remove it and rebuild it. Looks like your doing both sides? It's a lever that moves the release so if it's disconnected, you have the room, cut the sob away, slide it off the shaft and plan to rebuild it. It's a piece of pipe. Good luck, because with what I have to work with, it's the best I got to offer.

Comment

try getting into the bolts that are holding jaws and back bolt off a turn or two.... You are going to have to relieves the jaws hold BH before you can do anything you are not going to slide lever/tub off shaft while there is any tension on jaws holding hoe....As OG mentioned, relieve the weight of the hoe off the jaws before you do anything.... I betting there is locking mechanism of sorts you can not access because of interference of hoe and it was not obvious to dealer or you...

There is method of removing rust and freeing shaft that is little used or though of... Its just tapping sleeve and shaft with a hammer lightly for some time and eventually the rust particles relax into dust and release hold on shaft.....

Dale
                      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                        The thing I'm missing is more and better pictures. The mechanism in the picture is open, attachment off. I get that. Yours is attached, I get that as well. That's all I get however, beside it looks the pipe on shaft maybe attaches and moves something?

"There are two levers that release the backhoe but both of them are seized up solid. I have tried everything to move them but they won't budge."

So what am I missing? Releasing the backhoe isn't removal of the attachment?

"I cannot take those jaws you see apart with the backhoe ON because they hold the backhoe on and it weighs over a thousand pounds."

I assumed that lever opened and closed the jaw? I assumed the hoe attachment would be relaxed and supported before doing so? I assumed with more room to work it'd be easier for the effort? I assumed that you also gave it a solid effort to heat it, penetrating oil it, and hammer on it as well? I wondering why you need to do it in the first place if not to remove it?

It's the end of the day. You haven't gotten it. Dealer gave up.
                        Here's your fix. Forget trying to free it up. Grind to split and spread the pipe. Remove it and rebuild it. Looks like your doing both sides? It's a lever that moves the release so if it's disconnected, you have the room, cut the sob away, slide it off the shaft and plan to rebuild it. It's a piece of pipe. Good luck, because with what I have to work with, it's the best I got to offer.
                        OG you are a good man! Thank you for your time.

Since you mention it, the lever does not open the jaw. The lever moves the silver rod back which you can see has a silver colored block welded to it. That block only closes the jaws and then prevents them from opening. Once you pull the lever and move the block back each jaw has a spring you can see that will open it and hold it open. The hoe just has a big bar that fits in the jaws. It's actually pretty simple.

The fix you recommend is what I will need to do now. I was hoping to avoid all that, I never realized rust was so strong!

Thank you also Dale. I did the heat and beat thing on it again today which didn't help again and I got so mad at it I put a chain around the lever and used the backhoe bucket to pull the lever... It just bent. : D

Comment

Exactly how hot are you getting it? Hot...? Hot in a spot? Good and hot, good and red hot down the length and around? It should be the latter. And you should try freeing it up when it's hot and expanded.
                          Sounds like you gave it a solid effort just the same. Third times the charm they say?

Comment

I wasted about a tank of MAPP gas on it today. Don't have a real torch out where it is so no red hot...

Never underestimate the power of rust.

Comment

What they say about there being no substitute for cubic inches...same is said for oxygen and acetylene. But I guess you figured that out through experience now haven't you? Lol. She's a great teacher.

Comment

Working...
                              X