Dump Body Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dump Body Repair

I have another welding repair question. I need to weld a few small rust holes on the floor of my dump body on my dump truck. Any idea which thickness steel I should use? 1/8" or 1/4"? It's only used around my property. I don't not haul for a living.

Originally posted by baddboyy21 View Post
    I have another welding repair question. I need to weld a few small rust holes on the floor of my dump body on my dump truck. Any idea which thickness steel I should use? 1/8" or 1/4"? It's only used around my property. I don't not haul for a living.
    You could go the cheap way and overlay the floor if you're not worried about weight. Citing limited personal use regular mild steel sheet in 3/16" would be adequate.

Where has the rust through formed? In corners where mud and debris pile up and stick, or where the floor meets with crossmembers? I like to cut the complete floor out of the truck, repair any busted, deformed, or cracked crossmembers, and then reinstall a new floor. AR-400 is a good material to use if abrasive resistance is required and will last a long time in gravel sand usage.
    Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Originally posted by Auto Affair View Post
      You could go the cheap way and overlay the floor if you're not worried about weight. Citing limited personal use regular mild steel sheet in 3/16" would be adequate.

Where has the rust through formed? In corners where mud and debris pile up and stick, or where the floor meets with crossmembers? I like to cut the complete floor out of the truck, repair any busted, deformed, or cracked crossmembers, and then reinstall a new floor. AR-400 is a good material to use if abrasive resistance is required and will last a long time in gravel sand usage.
      It's right over the cross members. The metal worn thin and rusted away. I am trying to do it the cheap way. I don't want to put a lot of money in the truck. It's a 1986 Ford F600. So it doesn't have much value outright.

Comment

Originally posted by baddboyy21 View Post
        It's right over the cross members. The metal worn thin and rusted away. I am trying to do it the cheap way. I don't want to put a lot of money in the truck. It's a 1986 Ford F600. So it doesn't have much value outright.
        For the duration I'd just plate over the top after pressure washing and brush priming the existing floor, and bottom of your new sheet to lengthen the time before corrosion gets it again. Crossmember rusting is the normal in dump bodies.

If you do replate the bed do weld the perimeter and seams solid to disallow mud and such to be held in any open seams or cracks to give rust a place to start other than the normal surface wear of the new floor.
        Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

Working...
        X