No announcement yet.

Cat Loader Bucket Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On a hobby machine where you are patching the bucket, I'd use whatever is handy and looks to be of the same thickness. No need to over think this one.

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
      I love my trade, but once in a while, I get weary of the same building
      with the same paint on the walls, and the same excuses every day
      by the same bunch of bosos who should have found a different way
      to bring home the bacon.

It's then that I love to open a Calweld thread,
      or a Spook II thread, and dream of greener grass.
      Or at least different grass. Joe's work when finished
      has that >There's nothing more to be said< look to it!

Phil
      Phil, you are embarrassing me now. No way you can lump me into the same kind of work SpookII does, closest I ever got was paralleling a couple 500 engine drives, to make close to 1200 amps. I only did this a couple times, and there are no posts or pictures about it, it is hard to handle 1200 amps and a camera at the same time.

Just remember, don't ever put your trade down. The machining is important also, I still remember a few years ago, both the machinist and the owner of a company spent all of New Year's eve, doing machine work on a track frame for me. We finished up about 1 am, all three of us missed whatever parties we were planning to attend, starting from about 5 or 6 the next morning I also missed New Years day, since I had to do the install.

Point is, my customer made money off the deal (he was ready to go on January 2, and finish the contract), I made money, and especially the machinist made money. None of this would have happened if he was unwilling to work late that night.

I know from previous posts you have done stuff like this yourself.
      *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Originally posted by drujinin View Post
        On a hobby machine where you are patching the bucket, I'd use whatever is handy and looks to be of the same thickness. No need to over think this one.
        This is correct. I generally make a major distinction, between doing work for commercial operators, and doing work for "weekend farmers". If a $100 dollar job will work, why do a $1000 dollar job? Even so, I will usually try to make the repair flush as much as possible, with both the inside and outside. If it sticks out too much on the inside, dirt hangs up, sticks out too much on the outside, you can't make a clean trench.
        *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Joe brings up a good point. There was some stuff on another forum and it was difficult to explain a couple worn holes on a hobby bucket didn't need a 1000$ precision and bored repair. The whole hoe wasn't worth 500$ and the rest of it was worn out and limping along.
          While its great to want to do precision work ordering several hundred in bushings from Cat and finding or making boring tools for a bucket wouldn't bring 10$ in scrap isn't worth it. What was a good idea was to fiddle around with the welder and close up some holes, make it 100% better for a couple hrs of self labor and make it work a bit better is a great idea.
          http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
          X