Cat Loader Bucket Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Loader Bucket Repair

Hello. I am new to the forum but I have a few questions. I need to repair the bucket on my Cat 955K. There are rust holes in the corners of the bucket. This is a non contact area. I was told that I should use abrasive resistant steel.

My first question is, what thickness of steel should I use? This is a non contact area on the bucket.

Second question is, can I heat and bend one piece of steel to the contour of the bucket or should I cut 1"-2" pieces and individually weld them on to it?

I also read that using a stick welder with 7018 is the best process.

Here are a few pictures of the bucket.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2599.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	668524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	668525Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	668526Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	668527

Originally posted by baddboyy21 View Post
    Hello. I am new to the forum but I have a few questions. I need to repair the bucket on my Cat 955K. There are rust holes in the corners of the bucket. This is a non contact area. I was told that I should use abrasive resistant steel.

My first question is, what thickness of steel should I use? This is a non contact area on the bucket.

Second question is, can I heat and bend one piece of steel to the contour of the bucket or should I cut 1"-2" pieces and individually weld them on to it?

I also read that using a stick welder with 7018 is the best process.

Here are a few pictures of the bucket.
    [ATTACH]38090[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38091[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38092[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38093[/ATTACH]
    Being a non contact area of the bucket you can use regular carbon steel and bend it to fit. The raised beads you see on the outsides of the bucket are hardfacing material. There are several brands of hardface material available but I always liked Stoody "31", or "35" for building up wear and impact resistant surfaces. You could cut out the rusted material, seam in new plate stock formed to fit, weld it in using 7018, and then build up the outer surface with hardfacing and be good to go. I've actually performed this same type repair numerous times seemingly an eon ago.....

The 955, and 977 were a good series of tractor in days gone by. Kind of expensive to maintain these days as they age no?
    Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

I haven't had much trouble with mine. I bought it two years ago. It had a fairly new under carriage. It runs fine. The only issue is the bucket rusted out. I just use to to play around on my property. I only use it a few hours a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Auto Affair View Post
        There are several brands of hardface material available but I always liked Stoody "31", or "35" for building up wear and impact resistant surfaces.
        Sounds like a good candidate for re~facing Anvils no?
        sigpicViceGrip
        Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
          Sounds like a good candidate for re~facing Anvils no?
          Stoody "35" is geared toward impact resistance. It does have fair ductility where "31" is more of a wear resistant layer. Neither are very good for depth without a base to cover. I'd probably try a good 6010 layer capped with "35" in the application but am really guessing as I never had to grind anything to form when hardfacing. Certainly worth a try however.

Comment

I haven't had much trouble with mine. I bought it two years ago. It had a fairly new under carriage. It runs fine. The only issue is the bucket rusted out. I just use to to play around on my property. I only use it a few hours a week.
            Used to love working on all the pivot point to the loader arms when much younger, (yeah, right) as they really were a high wear tractor as are any loader type tractor is. Both the 955, and larger 977 were a very good balance of weight to power to capacity and maintained a strong loyalty base before excavators really eliminated the market. The later series of those tractors started to use bushings in the pivot points and getting some of those SOB's out of their respective bores took some thought to not destroy the parent bore. The secret was to use 1/8" welding rod and literally weld around the inner circumference of the bushings, and knock them out with an air chisel. Usually they would walk out easily ready for another to be drawn in with either a hollow bore hydraulic cylinder, or a large "C" frame press.

Some of the crap I used to do to support a growing family.....

Comment

The bushings at at the top of the arms on mine are starting to get worn. Luckily I don't use this machine to make money. It also needs steering clutches adjusted. I only use it a few hours a week in the summer.

Comment

The bushings at at the top of the arms on mine are starting to get worn. Luckily I don't use this machine to make money. It also needs steering clutches adjusted. I only use it a few hours a week in the summer.
                Couple times a year shoot the adjustments and pivots with a penatrant oil to ensure you can adjust them when the time comes.....

Comment

What thickness steel should I use on the bucket? 3/16, 1/4? Would I be able to heat it with a torch and get it to bend to the contour of the bucket?

Comment

What thickness steel should I use on the bucket? 3/16, 1/4? Would I be able to heat it with a torch and get it to bend to the contour of the bucket?
                    I'd use the same as is there already. Cut the bad area out and butt weld a new section in, then hardface in the same pattern as what's already there. You may need to have a helper running a rosebud to warm the metal and tack it into place as edges meet. A stiff piece of cardboard makes for a great template to take to a steel vendor to roll a small section to the correct contour also.

Comment

Look up posts on here by Calweld, who does this kind of work commercially, among many other things, and has some excellent pics.. Hasn't posted recently, but may be still around.

Edit: Part 1 is here, but a Part 2 also:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...avator+buckets
                      Last edited by Northweldor; 04-10-2016, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I am still around, just not as much, and not on a regular basis. I have already rebuilt more buckets this year than most people will see in their lives. Since I don't visit here so much anymore, if anybody wants me to look at a particular thread, please feel free to either email me or private message me through this website, with a link to the thread. I would be happy to help if I can.

Thanks for remembering me, Northwelder ,,,,

Joe
                        *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                          I am still around, just not as much, and not on a regular basis. I have already rebuilt more buckets this year than most people will see in their lives. Since I don't visit here so much anymore, if anybody wants me to look at a particular thread, please feel free to either email me or private message me through this website, with a link to the thread. I would be happy to help if I can.

Joe
                          Don't forget us, with your pics of some interesting jobs!

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post

Joe
                            We wouldn't forget you that easily!
                            Feel free to drop in on weekend nights.
                            Maybe we can scare off those pesky Rusky spammers.
                            sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                              Look up posts on here by Calweld, who does this kind of work commercially, among many other things, and has some excellent pics.. Hasn't posted recently, but may be still around.

Edit: Part 1 is here, but a Part 2 also:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...avator+buckets
                              I love my trade, but once in a while, I get weary of the same building
                              with the same paint on the walls, and the same excuses every day
                              by the same bunch of bosos who should have found a different way
                              to bring home the bacon.

It's then that I love to open a Calweld thread,
                              or a Spook II thread, and dream of greener grass.
                              Or at least different grass. Joe's work when finished
                              has that >There's nothing more to be said< look to it!

Phil
                              Last edited by vicegrip; 05-03-2016, 09:25 AM.
                              sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Working...
                              X