Replacing a Forklift Mast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing a Forklift Mast

I need to replace the mast on a forklift I have procured a newer style more modern mast but the mounts are different. I have the mounts off the original mast which I was able to torch off pretty cleanly and hae a nice fit to the new mast. what is the best way to get a strong durable weld and not warp the area where the mounts will be attached. thinking of using E 7018 rod and stick welding it but I also have a proffesional 250 map mig machine that I am sure would make agood looking weld also but I am concerned the wire machine may not penetrate as well as the stick may. I need to create a wider weld to get the strength I need, would you do a multi pass burning into the last bead or weave a wider bead over the top of the last pass and build it wider with each pass?
    I am not a proffesioal welder but have fabricated grain bodies on trucks built gates rebuild Sugerbeet harvesting equipment to handle much smaller Red beets, and modified feild tillage equipment to get it to do what I needed it to do, sort of a Jack of all trades Master of None! Thank you in advance.
    LMK

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
    I need to replace the mast on a forklift I have procured a newer style more modern mast but the mounts are different. I have the mounts off the original mast which I was able to torch off pretty cleanly and hae a nice fit to the new mast. what is the best way to get a strong durable weld and not warp the area where the mounts will be attached. thinking of using E 7018 rod and stick welding it but I also have a proffesional 250 map mig machine that I am sure would make agood looking weld also but I am concerned the wire machine may not penetrate as well as the stick may. I need to create a wider weld to get the strength I need, would you do a multi pass burning into the last bead or weave a wider bead over the top of the last pass and build it wider with each pass?
    I am not a proffesioal welder but have fabricated grain bodies on trucks built gates rebuild Sugerbeet harvesting equipment to handle much smaller Red beets, and modified feild tillage equipment to get it to do what I needed it to do, sort of a Jack of all trades Master of None! Thank you in advance.
    The process I would use for this would be low hydrogen stick-welds, after determining steel types. However, since this is a job where critical weld failure could cause death or injury to yourself or others, maybe you might want to give this job to someone who does this for a living? If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to watch the video mentioned in this thread previously posted.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ydrogen-Advice
    Last edited by Northweldor; 06-13-2015, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X