Square Tubing for gate post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Tubing for gate post

I was looking at using 4 inch square tubing to make a brace to hang my entrance gate on. The entrance gate is made of 2 inch square tubing, is 14 feet long, and weighs about 175 pounds. I was going to weld a brace probably 4 feet wide with 4 inch tubing posts and 2 inch tubing cross members to match the gate. Would 11 gauge tubing work or would I need to use 3/16 inch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I highly recommend 1/4 inch or thicker. In our shop we never use anything less for such purposes.

Comment

X2. For the small amount needed it doesnt make sense to scrimp.
      Walker
      Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
      Ironwood Artistic

Comment

3/16"" galvanized or hot rolled

A 4" post does have a lot of rigidity. Depending on your paint job and climate, 1/8" can rust enough to easily be weakened at ground level. 4" square, 1/4" thick is a heavy post. If you only need a few feet, just go to a fab shop or two with cash in hand and ask to buy a 3/16" or 1/4" drop. Don't show up with $10 and start dictating what you want or complaining about light surface rust, though.
        fence and gate shop worker
        At home...
        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I should go with at least 1/4 inch. I was thinking about welding the braces together in the shop and then setting them in concrete in the field. Would that work or would setting the individual posts in concrete first and then welding in the field be a better option? Also, the gate is approximately 5 ft tall. I was planning on using 10 ft posts and setting them 4 ft deep in concrete. Would I need to concrete it all the way to the surface?

Comment

Gate post

How long do you want it to last?

A post set in the ground with a collar of concrete and then back filled will have the shortest life. Concrete filled to the surface and shaped to shed water will last longer. Fill the post with concrete it will last even longer. This keeps water from collecting inside and it rusting from the inside out. All of the above plus paint and you're likely to get thirty years plus out of it.
            Use yourself as the standard,
            seek to beat it daily,
            sleep satisfied.

Welders -
            O/A
            Lincoln AC/DC tombstone
            Hobart gas powered DC stick, 6 cyl flat head.
            Miller 251 MIG
            little Hypertherm plasma.

Comment

Working...
            X