Bumper build for farm truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper build for farm truck

I have a 91 Ford Ranger that my youngest son drives daily for work around the farm and general use. He wanted to build a front winch bumper to go on the Ranger....so....here we go. More pics as the progress continues.

Getting started, tack welding the pieces together....

mocked up with cardboard....front

mocked up with cardboard....side

A photoshop rendering of what it is supposed to look like....(minus the fairlead for the winch cable)
    Attached Files

Nice design, that adds function and improves on original appearance!

Comment

that cardboard and duct tape painted up real nice!! Blended in with the steel beautifully too!!

seriously though, looks real nice.

Comment

Originally posted by poptm View Post
        that cardboard and duct tape painted up real nice!! Blended in with the steel beautifully too!!

seriously though, looks real nice.

Technology is amazing, huh...

Thanks!

Comment

Update on bumper build

Made a little progress on the bumper last night....will post more pics when I can.

Got most of one end of the steel 1/8" skin cut and tacked in place.

Attached Files

Comment

more progress on the bumper....

Comment

More progress on the bumper....almost finished

Comment

Way to pretty for "farm" truck...

Dale
                Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I doubt the chicks will dig it but I think it's Art In Metal. Very impressed. <need one of those Have a Beer icons>

But like Red Green used to say If you're not handsome at least you should be handy!
                  CanoeCruiser
                  Harris dual-stage O/A
                  Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                  Hobart IronMan 210
                  Lincoln PowerMig 135
                  Miller 3035 spoolgun
                  Thermal Arc 185
                  Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                  Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                  Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Design really suits the "squarish" lines of the truck. Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by canoecruiser View Post
                      I doubt the chicks will dig it but I think it's Art In Metal. Very impressed. <need one of those Have a Beer icons>

But like Red Green used to say If you're not handsome at least you should be handy!
                      What ever happened to Red Green, I miss that program....

Dale
                      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

I admit, this is a wonderful looking job.

However, I have never been a fan of "wrap around bumpers" , on either end of a truck. Hit this one on the corners just right, you will either drive the ends up into the fenders, or drive them into the tires. Either way, the bumper is not really protecting anything, just creating more damage.
                        *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                          ... I have never been a fan of "wrap around bumpers" ...
                          Neither have I, Joe. Every time me or mine has hit something, those bumpers wrap around something and cause all kinds of problems. I have some 12" wide C-channel and railroad spikes I've been saving up for a project.
                          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                          -------------------------

Comment

Reminds me

Of when the guy was nursing his way out the logging trail. He slid gently into the tree trying to negotiate a 110 degree turn on a slight incline slope. As the fender rested gently on a tree, he couldn't back up because his wrap-around kept hooking the tree! Eventually he got out, but if that bumper hadn't stuck out the side like it did, he "probably" would have made the turn!

Comment

Working...
                            X