Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge

Started this one a couple months ago.

Cut a flatcar in half, removed all obstructions. Moved out to the jobsite, blocked it up on H-beams, reasonably leveled it. As the RR determined it was scrap, it probably wasn't straight to begin with. Plus, wherever it came from, was once buried under snow, somebody drove an excavator over one side.

All pictures are after cutting at the original construction yard, and moved out to the customer's location.

Originally, this was upside down. I reached down into the center, welded the lips of the original RR car rubrail together, adding little slices of flatbar anyplace necessary. Then welded 10 pieces of 10" x 24" flat, across the bottom lips (on top) down the center. After that, installed several 6" channels between the box beams, with braces going both down to the deck, and braces going longitudinally. Although the total weight of the assembly was only 40,000 pounds, the worry was it would fold upon itself when flipping over and setting in place
    Attached Files
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

After setting on the abutments with a crane.

I then sliced off the parts of the rubrail sticking above the deck. Cleaned up both ends, where necessary I sectioned out the dents, both up and down, and replaced with flat plate. Wrapped both ends with formed 3" or 4" x 6" quarter inch thick angle, just to dress up and clean up the ends.
    Attached Files
    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

I didn't get a pic right after doing this, but this is what the deck looked like immediately after air-arcing the center welds flush, and removing what remained of the piggyback mounts. A full day of air-arcing with 3/8 carbons at 450 amps. Next day, welded 3/8 x 8 flat down, to fill the gap.
      Attached Files
      *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Complete.

Installed hand rails.

I lasered this, laid out the location of every upright, noted the + and - of each. The guy that cut them for me even numbered them for me. Top rails are absolutely correct, no deviation whatsoever.

Diagonals I had to cut myself, came out great also.
        Attached Files
        *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Looks like it belongs there. Nice looking country down there when everything is green and growing. That's across some drainage canal?

Now for the sarcastic input,,, how long do you think it will be before some body on a tractor, warp 6, equipment flailing around off the back end, wipes out one of those good lookin side rails?

Comment

Great pics, thanks for posting them.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

nice work

Nice country as long as it is getting water. Did you get a chance to put some hours on your rebuilt VS feeder?
              fence and gate shop worker
              At home...
              Lincoln Power MIG 180....
              Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                Looks like it belongs there. Nice looking country down there when everything is green and growing. That's across some drainage canal?

Now for the sarcastic input,,, how long do you think it will be before some body on a tractor, warp 6, equipment flailing around off the back end, wipes out one of those good lookin side rails?
                This is across a natural creek.

Primary purpose of this bridge, one of the family members is building a new house a few hundred feet south of where my pickup is parked in some pictures. Access from the north is thru a vineyard with N/S vinerows, little danger of a collision between farm tractors and vehicles. Probably will be paved, dust is bad in vineyards.

Most vineyard cultivation equipment is 8' or less in width, this bridge is 17' between the rails. Biggest danger is during harvest, grapes are usually harvested at night, anything and everything can happen (and does). We will see.

If something does happen, remember, my primary business is repairs.
                *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by gatemaker View Post
                  Nice country as long as it is getting water. Did you get a chance to put some hours on your rebuilt VS feeder?
                  These rails were built completely with the LN-25 feeder you fixed for me. Using 21-B. Never once did the wire burn back and fuse to the tip.

Thanks for the help, gatemaker.
                  *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                    I didn't get a pic right after doing this, but this is what the deck looked like immediately after air-arcing the center welds flush, and removing what remained of the piggyback mounts. A full day of air-arcing with 3/8 carbons at 450 amps. Next day, welded 3/8 x 8 flat down, to fill the gap.
                    Nice job of compensating for uneven structure on those railings!

I don't ever want to do a full day of air-arcing with 3/8 at 450, but, just out of curiosity, what rig were you using?

Comment

I used one of my Commander 500s throughout this job. Used to be on my IHC truck, but since I had to quit using that truck due to the California diesel rules, both are on trailers now. One generation earlier than the Vantage, while it doesn't weld quite as nicely (although still very good), it is a great air-arc machine. You simply can't burn up that 912 Deutz engine.
                      *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Hey neighbor

I need one for our land in Bear Valley Hi Way 4 . Got a lead on flat cars ?

Comment

No, I don't. This was one of several a construction company purchased a few years ago, it was the last one left, and the one in the worst condition.

If it's just automotive (up to two-axle trucks) traffic you need to carry, I suggest looking into flatbed trailers, would be cheaper and easier.
                          *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                            No, I don't. This was one of several a construction company purchased a few years ago, it was the last one left, and the one in the worst condition.

If it's just automotive (up to two-axle trucks) traffic you need to carry, I suggest looking into flatbed trailers, would be cheaper and easier.
                            Thanks . I have seen these as awesome bridges. No hurry. Tool

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.f2oNCR3aQ1s
                              *** Disclaimer ***

Comment

Working...
                              X