Lawn Tractor / Snowblower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Tractor / Snowblower

I have a old lawn tractor with a snow blower on it. Even with the wheel weights and chains on it it is hard to control. Front end wants to go where it wants to go. Anyone ever run into this problem and found a correction for it?:

You have the wheel weights and chains on the rear drive wheels, so they have lots of traction and the tractor is following the blower. Try raising the blower just off the skids so it's weight is being carried on the front wheels. Don't want to guess how many tons of snow I've moved with a John Deere 110 and a snow blower, but it was a 500 foot driveway in the Tug Hill region of upstate NY (average snow fall of 200-300 inches per year)!
    Blacksmith
    Stickmate LX AC/DC
    Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
    Hand cranked coal forge
    Freon bottle propane forge
    HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
      Try raising the blower just off the skids so it's weight is being carried on the front wheels.
      My thought as well. I have a New Holland tractor with front end loader to do the housekeeping. On ice or hard snow, if the bucket is putting any pressure on the ground or snow (and therefore relieving the front wheels of weight), the machine loses all steering authority, 2 or 4 wheel drive (I do not have tire chains).

My pickup got stuck in the last snowfall. An attempt at towing with the tractor resulted only in wheelspin. So I used the bucket to pick up the rear of the truck, adding weight to the front wheels of the tractor, and out it went like it was on dry concrete.

Small lawn/garden tractors usually don't have room for front weights, but what Blacksmith said will probably do enough to solve the problem without resorting to that.
      CanoeCruiser
      Harris dual-stage O/A
      Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
      Hobart IronMan 210
      Lincoln PowerMig 135
      Miller 3035 spoolgun
      Thermal Arc 185
      Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
      Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
      Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

fab up something to put weight up front

Comment

I have two 1968 Cub Cadet model 125. One has skinny front tires and the other has wide front tires. The skinny tires steer much better in the snow with the QA-42 snow thrower.

Comment

Working...
          X