Cactus Puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cactus Puller

I got a bunch of nasty little cactus in my yard.... yesterday I got stuck with little thornes with welding gloves on pulling it up.. This morning I made a "cactus Puller" ... works great.... no thornes, 5 gal bucket of cactus in the trash..
    Last edited by JimYo; 06-23-2011, 03:29 PM.
    Jim Young
    www.jimyo.com

Looks like a set of oyster tongs down here in the south. Are you using a chain to pull the jaws closed when pulling them out? We also used something very similar to grip pallets in semi trailes to pull them to the rear and fork them off. Great idea though, cactus spines are no fun at all..
    Bob
    Enough tools to do anything, common sense to use em properly.
    Big nasty scar, no kidneys, so you think you got issues?

Comment

Hi Bob... nope, just hold the handles shut and pull them out of the ground. the teeth on the outside act as a basket for the loose pieces ... the flat jaws grab the cactus at its base..
      Jim
      Jim Young
      www.jimyo.com

Comment

Necessity--the mother of invention.

They do resemble oyster tongs though.

Comment

think i would have to make about a half dozen up and see if you could sell them at a flea market or something...

Comment

Originally posted by brucer View Post
            think i would have to make about a half dozen up and see if you could sell them at a flea market or something...
            I don't think I could sell them for the steel cost, much less the labor. for that to be profitable you would have to stamp out the body from plate and use wooden handles, with 30 cents an hour labor in China..
            But good thought..
            Jim
            Jim Young
            www.jimyo.com

Comment

Here's a set of small oyster tongs although they can be much larger for commercial fishing.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=4lsosfKBDcd

Comment

those are neat, but would not work for cactus... need the flat side of the jaw to grab the cactus... with those, the cactus would break at the first link of the plant that a tooth grabbed.. Ill do a picture and add it to this comment..
                Last edited by JimYo; 06-24-2011, 12:45 PM.
                Jim Young
                www.jimyo.com

Comment

I've seen oyster tongs similar to your cactus tongs,but it was years ago.

I tried to find a picture of them or someone that sold them---Guess what? ...They are antiques now... at least I couldn't find any 'new' ones that are for sale online.

The old ones ranged from $75 to $125 from the brief search I made. Some were 3-4 feet wide jaws and use up to 16' long handles.

You actually might be able to sell your "Cactus Puller Tongs" for enough to make it profitable... If you needed them,there are others that can't weld that need them also.

I saw several threads searching for Oyster tongs for sale also and the searchers couldn't find any for sale... New item for sale?

Sometimes we assume that someone else is making an item,but discover no one is... at least not anymore. You might have stumbled onto a way to make a buck.

Comment

This guy used to make them, but he passed away. His son took over all the fab and welding and he started just making the handles. Bet his son still makes them.

http://www.southernfoodways.com/docu...Richards.shtml

These folks sell tong heads and handles: http://www.newrivernets.com/nrn/shellfish.htm
                    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                    -------------------------

Comment

Those links were interesting reading...The first proves my point..2 guys making tongs & they both might quit. The second has some good knives and BIG bouys pretty cheap.

Thanks for the information.... I'm not going oyster fishing,but it's nice to learn something.

I was reading that 100% of the oysters in the Gulf have salmonella in them... I used to set at oyster bars in New Orleans and tell them I'd let them know when I had enough raw oysters...It's been many years since I'd chance that ...even drunk!

Sometimes I think most of us had it good when things were good in this old world. It sure is a shame.

Comment

I found it interesting that the price sheet is measured in teeth. Thats 2" width of the rake per tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by JimYo View Post
                          those are neat, but would not work for cactus... need the flat side of the jaw to grab the cactus... with those, the cactus would break at the first link of the plant that a tooth grabbed.. Ill do a picture and add it to this comment..

Around here folks pay me, to buy those, in little pots. The cactus that is.

Comment

Originally posted by dumb as a stump View Post
                            Around here folks pay me, to buy those, in little pots. The cactus that is.
                            You don't have enough pots for all the cactus in my yard.. come on over... you can have all you want ...
                            Jim
                            Jim Young
                            www.jimyo.com

Comment

Those little tiny fuzzy hairs on the prickly pear are nasty.

Comment

Working...
                              X