Swiss Cheese Mower Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Cheese Mower Deck

Here is a job that came in a few days ago. A rotted out mower deck. It was so bad that the right side blade spindle fell off, now that's bad. A new deck cost 12 hundred bucks without any hardware or spindles as I was told. This had at one time a mulching plate and that added to the problem along with never cleaning the under side. The first thing I had to do was to pressure wash it so I could see some metal. The left side was like new even some factory paint was still on it.
    The first photo shows the rust out and I had to weld the spindle mounting holes in place so I could get a location and make sure I have the blade/deck clearance I needed.
    The second photo shows the sheet I welded in. Should be good for a few more years, hope fully they will keep it clean, (ya suppose ?).

sigpic

Nice fix...done some of those too, they're fun...if it's not too wasted.

Comment

...A person could become wealthy repairing the asinine mistakes of others....

Decks always rot out at the discharge side first. That's because the whiipped, chopped and purree'd grass collects more on that side and it's wetter and the lax (I use that term lightly) owners never clean the underside of the deck, let alone maintain the engine.

When you leave wet grass in a dark, damp enviroment in the off season, it becomes akaline and it rots away the deck.

Nice job by the way. Looks like I'd run an advertisement in the local paper, repairing mower decks. `1200 bucks for a new deck without any hardware is cheap. A Cub Cadet M60 Tank deck, stripped, is 2500 new.
      So little time...So many machine tools.........
      www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
      Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
      Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
      Harris OA
      Too many motorcycles.............-
      sigpic

Comment

Swiss Cheese Mower Deck

Good looking repair! Lucky you, the deck was flat with no dish-outs, curves and compound curves to deal with.

Comment

That Ex-Mark knows they love their stuff, including replacement mower decks. Good job on that one. David

Comment

mower deck

Not sure why but you cany fix stupid. I have seen this many times bad lack of care for expensive equipment. I have often wondered why a person could not mold a hard plastic insert for mower decks. or maybe you can?

Comment

Originally posted by garage built View Post
              Not sure why but you cany fix stupid. I have seen this many times bad lack of care for expensive equipment. I have often wondered why a person could not mold a hard plastic insert for mower decks. or maybe you can?
              It won't last (plastic insert) because of the impact it will receive from stones and other debris hidden in the lawn.

Plastic inserts work very well in square bailers (hay) however. Work good for skid shoes too.
              So little time...So many machine tools.........
              www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
              Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
              Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
              Harris OA
              Too many motorcycles.............-
              sigpic

Comment

Great job , as usual for you , i think before spending $ 1200.00 on a deck , I'd try adapting a cheaper 2 spindle deck , and yes you can't fix stupid , just ask my wife , shes been trying for years !!
                Silver Hair Deere
                Hobart Handler 135

Comment

Nice fix. That one would be a simple one to make another dech out of some sheetmetal since its flat. Bet 1/8" would last a long time...Bob
                  Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                  Metal Master Fab
                  Salem, Ohio
                  Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                  http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Nice job! Now I've got to go home and look under my mower deck.
                    Miller 140 A/S
                    HF Flux Core
                    Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Smith O/A Torch
                    Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Great job on the repair. I have used a lot of this stuff on farm equipment and old truck frames. It works great. I would put a heavy dose on the side that did not get a new plate.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-converter.html

Comment

Working...
                      X