Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"You Call That a Spider?..This is a Spider!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Call That a Spider?..This is a Spider!!

From down here where the rattlesnakes grow big...so do the spiders!!

Crawling down the side of my garage...

"Good Enough Never Is"

What's the matter, Hotfoot? You couldn't get a close-up?
    I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

Comment

don't be scared just go squish it.

Comment

Ya know...I haven't seen a single one of those this year. Maybe they don't like the heat either??? We used to have some really big ones on the ranch......really big ones.
        Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

I took that picture right after our recent rains...that's a real picture...I did not add or enlarge the spider via Photoshop.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by trial&error View Post
            don't be scared just go squish it.

Something that big, you don't squish - you shoot.

Comment

you havent found any small animals tangled up in it's web have you? LOL

Comment

Hotfoot,

You have a good knowledge of "DEPTH OF FIELD", and "PERSPECTIVE FRAMING", when it comes to cameras.

You were almost able to totally elimate the web from the picture.

Comment

Yes, very good depth of field. There have been reports of yellow garden spiders as large as 4 to 5 inches in diameter (legs included.) I believe that was in Texas.

Around here, they aren't quite that large. We have wolf spiders that get pretty big. And they run fast.

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                  -------------------------

Comment

We have large Wolf Spiders on our property.
                    My wife saw one in the hall last week and did not see that it was carrying it's young.
                    She hit it with a slipper, and the young scattered.
                    She said there were at least 482 of them. She counted.
                    Had to get the vacuum for the babies

Comment

I have seen those Garden Spiders about 6-8" with legs. Big suckers to say the least. If you shoot, you best not miss because they can take the weapon away from you and use it on ya!

Got some big Wolfies running around too. They run about the size of the one in the pic. Aggressive little suckers, too.
                      Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Big Spiders

I was at a camp retreat one weekend in the swamps and bayous of the deep south, and I was nearly scared to death. I was running down a path in the woods late at night in pitch dark. A giant spider like that one had made a web between two trees adjacent to the trail I was on. I slammed into that giant spider face first - direct hit. I nearly screamed. The next morning was even worse. I was shaking the scorpions out of my shoes. Good thing people warned me about that one though.

Comment

Originally posted by rlarkin View Post
                          Hotfoot,

You have a good knowledge of "DEPTH OF FIELD", and "PERSPECTIVE FRAMING", when it comes to cameras.

You were almost able to totally elimate the web from the picture.
                          Exactly! I just ran "Scratch Removal" on most of the web, but didn't take the time or effort to eliminate all traces of it.

For the others: I didn't say I didn't use Photoshop, I simply said I didn't place the spider with it!!
                          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

The giveaway for me was the web lines in the gutters.

I took a copy of the pic., and digitized the apparent location of the web lines in the gutter, and the position of the 2 rear legs.
                            You will see 2 web lines in the gutter. Their angle creates a perfect intersect point running through the rear legs, to the location of the spiders spineret.

Also-
                            By approximating the size of the web lines in the picture, using the known size of the heads on the siding screws, 1/4", and the known length of the handgrip on a childs bike, 4 3/8", you can use the BOOLEAN THEORY ((logic) boolean expressions: • can be used to represent statements about the world. (natural or constructed, real or imaginary)), to approximate the actual distance of the spider from the building to be about 13' 5 and 3/4". (+/- 30').

Comment

Huh??...the spider was "up close" , with his web attached to the Century Plant, whose spire/leaf is seen at the lower right. Its just a picture from my Cell Phone camera, so no adjustments were made for depth of field, etc...although the camera has those capabilities...I usually just point and shoot
                              Last edited by Hotfoot; 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM.
                              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                              X