Small bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small bridge

I need to build a small bridge to cross a creek that is about 3ft wide (but I want the bridge to be about 10ft long). I have lots of scrap metal and I would like to make it out of justs scraps. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

It would be helpfull to know if you're going to drive dump trucks over it or just walk across.

JTMcC.

Comment

would need to know what the maximum load is , the material the bridge will rest on, what you have for scrap material and what size troll you desire?

Comment

I would need to just drive across on a small tractor or a utv. I have all types of scraps but if I need something I dont have my friends would probly have it. The material that it would rest on would just be dirt and grass.

Comment

Interesting subject !

Hi William,

Using "scrap" suggests all sorts of odd shapes and lengths and the possibility of creating a really interesting functional metal scuplture; something with an interesting, sorta-art-ish design, and not just functional.

Two key concepts are to make triangles (not 4,5,6,... sided sections) and to make strong joints.

A Google search on "truss bridge designs" yields some variations; lots of pictures; all with lots of triangles; mostly pretty dull artistically.

This sounds like a really interesting thread-project for this forum. I am hoping you can share it with us.

Step 1: post a picture of your scrap pile(s) and the creek.
          Step 2: (as suggested earlier) try to define the load requirement.

Bob

Comment

Something with an arch in it would be good. Tank bottoms come to mind. I saw a small bridge similar to what is described at my powder coater's place a while back. It was arched angle iron with a hand railing. Looked pretty neat. I'm pretty sure that it was made from scrap pieces.
            Jim

Miller MM 210
            Miller Dialarc 250P
            Airco 225 engine driven
            Victor O/A
            Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Years ago, I remember seeing pictures of long, curved trusses made from old wheel rims and pipe. I believe it was in the book SHELTER. Hippie stuff
              http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/shelter_book.html

This sounds like an interesting project. The pic is a wooden foot bridge, but it shows what a little imagination will do.

This may be of interest - the annual ASCE/AISC student steel bridge competition. These have to hold 2,500 pounds. Some of them can be carried by two people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yquKTMeoLO8
              --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
              -------------------------

Comment

USMC POP's You Tube link is great resource, so be sure to check it out. Another BIG consideration is if that "little creek" floods, and if so, how much can it POSSIBLY (not probably) flood. It can not only take your bridge away, but cause big, big problems downstream.
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Simple idea

Use a large salvaged truck frame. Cheap,engineered.

I saw a beautiful larger bridge made from a Rail Road flat car bed.

They sprayed all the metal with some kind of coating. How about Z Barting a truck frame?

Comment

Warped minds think alike - earlier, I was going to suggest going to a junk yard and buying a flattened truck

Comment

...or one of those shipping cargo containers...make it a covered bridge!
                      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

It's often not hard to find an old junker mobile home for free. Even better would be a crappy old trailer made from one, which would save you the trouble of salvaging the frame.

Comment

I worked for the city of Lenexa and we installed 9 bridges along a trail. I believe they came from this company http://www.excelbridge.com/owners/ty...FSYMDQodDWTuDQ

All of ours were made with two trusses made with a top and bottom of 8x8x1/4 tube steel with verticals and diagonals of smaller sizes. The two sides were unified with channel iron and some additional braces used to support the deck. They were set into concrete abutments on each end with two to six cubic yards of concrete, spanning 12' to 49'. All of the bridges were designed to carry a one ton city truck, fire department grass rig, or ambulance. The deck was built with true 2" x10" rough sawn lumber (swamp oak I believe). They were not coated, but rather allowed to rust. I took a new F150 across them daily and had no issues what so ever.

Good luck to you.

Comment

I was thinking about useing some old metal trusses. I dont know what i would put between the trusses to drive on.

__________________________________________________ _______________
                            William
                            Last edited by Arcin & Sparkin; 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Just remember if your going to build it to support a tractor or atv make sure its not wide enough for a full scale vehicle or you guessed it somebody will try!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X