Battery powered welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudbug View Post
    Glad this question came up...I went looking for battery explosions--WOW--nasty little buggers when they decide to let go,sometimes for no apparent reason---Hooking 3 together then popping them with a welding load would surely exceed what turning a key to energise a starter might draw from a battery...

I did find a super in depth site that explains how/why batteries go "BOOM" I'd say use your own judgement about the safety of welding with batteries--remember you have 2 eyes & 2 ears wouldn't you like to retain their usage til later in life? One guy was just testing a battery and now can't hear from an account on one site. The below site explains it better than I could.

http://www.optimabattery.freeserve.c...Q/carfaq14.htm (section 14.3)

The part I was glad to find was "How can I revive a sulfated battery?" Great info--- http://www.optimabattery.freeserve.c...Q/carfaq16.htm
    I've been looking for that information for months... Thanks for helping me find it in a round-a-bout way.
    Good site. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Comment

I've been four wheeling with friends and they will take three battery link them in a series then weld with them but only for very little emergency things. I won't have a part of it. We have a 2500 watt cont. power inverter and a 90 amp little Thermal Dyne. welder for such trail repairs it just isn't worth getting hurt. That's my $0.02
      Esab Multimaster 260 Sweet machine!
      Thermal Arc Arc Master, Don't use it much just got a heck of a deal on this unit
      Don't talk about it, be about it.

Comment

I've used batteries and jumper cables before for emergency jeep repairs. It's not great or safe, but it'll get you out of the woods in a pinch. I usually take my old 120V Century, loaded up with flux core and keep it back at "camp". I've been interested in making a junkyard "weldernator" for quite some time, but the zena will get a bit of interest from me now.

Edit: Holy crap! After seeing the prices for these things, you can count me out on the zena. I think I'll sick with a large case Ford alt. and junkyard pulleys for a whole lot less. WOW.
        Last edited by willness33; 08-06-2008, 02:30 AM.

Comment

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=31037

In that thread, I posted links to 2 sites that detail a DIY DC TIG welder. Remove the TIG torch and you got a stick welder. It's based of a GM Delco 140 amp alternator.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Lincoln Weldanpower CC/CV engine drive
          Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder
          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
          Various oxy-fuel setups featuring Victor, Harris, and Prest-o-lite products

Comment

Working...
          X