Battery powered welding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery powered welding?

I remember seeing a 24v welder in Northern tool catalog some time back, but recently saw a clip on Utube where they used 3 12 volt batteries wired up in series to do some emergency welding. Have any of you had any experience with either process?
    Thanks,

Russ

Not directly, but I've read about it on a lot of off-road forums. Seems like the Ready Welder is standard equipment for running thr Rubicon river in Califlower.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I once saw an episode of Macgyver were he used a gas generator, pair of jumper cables, and a couple canadian coins to weld! Gawd that guy was gewd !!! LoL
      Nickoli
      ~ OUCH...OUCH...#@&$ OUCH... That didn't take long to look at! ~

Lincoln Pro Mig175
      Hypertherm Powermax600
      Victory Journeyman O/Lp
      Jet 4x6 Bandsaw
      Craftsman Chop Saw
      Craftsman 15in Stationary Drill Press
      Grizzly Compact Bender
      Many Other Various Tools

Comment

My son was working for the local Battery Boy distributer and I guess his bos belonged to the local yaht club. They needed some welding done on one of the docks and this guy went down with some batteries and welded it up.

Comment

Its not a battery welder as such but it is a slick idea. Even if it lives up to only half the hype.http://www.zena.net/
          glen, been there, done that and probably broke it!If you aren't on the edge. You'r taking up to much room

Comment

Originally posted by Russ_ D View Post
            I remember seeing a 24v welder in Northern tool catalog some time back, but recently saw a clip on Utube where they used 3 12 volt batteries wired up in series to do some emergency welding. Have any of you had any experience with either process?
            Thanks,

Russ
            This is the unit you saw in Northern Tool http://www.readywelder.com/ they have a forum if you are interested in more details. It's used by the military since their stuff is 24V it works out great.

I think it's a highly mis-understood unit (IMO) At the very least it's a portable spoolgun that can weld 3/4" steel and some owners use it to weld aluminum. Everyone thinks it's a toy crackpot welder...don't tell the railroad workers or military users or the 4x4 guys that...it's a serious tool. It's probably not for everyone,but it does have it's uses. It can be connected to a regular welder and used as a mig/spoolgun...yes it uses gas too.

All that & it fits in a briefcase... I gotta get me one of those...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The U tube clip just used batteries . Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_hLobwoyhE

Take a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Just be aware that batteries can and do explode.
                  --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                  -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Russ_ D View Post

Thanks

I'm not the only one that will tell you this I'm sure...Yes,it can be done,but it's dangerous... The uncontrolled arc generated is violent & there is the possibility of the batteries exploding(it has happened) & unlike MacGiver you won't get a re-take. The 4x4 guys do this in a pinch to get out of the woods(like that clip shows) You actually only need 2 batteries for 24V DC the 3 would be overkill.

I'm sure this is done for field repairs from time to time...but doubt anyone sets up this system for everyday use. The Ready Welder is designed to run on batteries just for this situation,and can be used hooked up to a shop welder power source as well and it's much safer to do so. There are other manufacturers of similar units..Go Weld,I think is another one,but it's design seems bulky compaired to a Ready Welder. I have no vested interest in either company..just was impressed by the Ready Welder unit years ago when I played with 4x4's(it is more refined now).

Is there some specific reason for the interest in this method other than the wonder of the process of just hooking up some batteries and welding away?

Comment

"Is there some specific reason for the interest in this method other than the wonder of the process of just hooking up some batteries and welding away?"

Just natural curiosity as much as anything, but I can see the occasional need to
                      weld a piece of farm equipment in the field . Just wanted to see if it was feasible (and safe) to use the batteries.

Sounds like I'd be better off to use my HH140 and my generator.

Thanks!

Comment

The 4x4 guys used this method back when,but there is usually at least one person with an on-board welder of some sort nowdays roaming the hills looking for someone to fix..LOL. It was strictly a get out of the woods quick-fix method(like that tie rod fix) I've even seen wrenches welded to tie rods to get out of the woods. These weren't permanant fixes...and they were repaired correctly back at the shop.

As to field repairs... You might want to think about an under hood welder made from an alternator(like the Zena) there are plans all over the www or 4x4 sites for inexpensive set-ups. I was looking at plans on ebay for $10 just the other day,but you could probably find them for free if you look.

Comment

A lot of jeeps with winches and used heavily off road have 2 batteries. So you don't have to carry extra for welding. Look at the jumper cable used in vid clip seeing small wire size. Small wire size but able to handle load adds resistance over 10 to 15 feet length that helps limits current. Choice of 10 or 3 feet jumper between batteries can also add resistance control. 10+ ft leads help reach work and helps keeps sparks away from batteries. Batteries should be covered to keep sparks away. That weldor should have better face protection. Maybe leather hood.

Better to buy or make alternator based welder. Lots of how to build web sites. This is also better way to power ready welder.

When is Hobart coming out with battery powered welder I read about?

Comment

Concerning battery explosion , would sparks be the main concern? So if the welding is done well away from the batteries and they are covered you should be able to get by with it?

Comment

Glad this question came up...I went looking for battery explosions--WOW--nasty little buggers when they decide to let go,sometimes for no apparent reason---Hooking 3 together then popping them with a welding load would surely exceed what turning a key to energise a starter might draw from a battery...

I did find a super in depth site that explains how/why batteries go "BOOM" I'd say use your own judgement about the safety of welding with batteries--remember you have 2 eyes & 2 ears wouldn't you like to retain their usage til later in life? One guy was just testing a battery and now can't hear from an account on one site. The below site explains it better than I could.

http://www.optimabattery.freeserve.c...Q/carfaq14.htm (section 14.3)

The part I was glad to find was "How can I revive a sulfated battery?" Great info--- http://www.optimabattery.freeserve.c...Q/carfaq16.htm
                              I've been looking for that information for months... Thanks for helping me find it in a round-a-bout way.

Comment

Working...
                              X