X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a ViceGrip !

Originally posted by mudbug View Post
    That thing will work you to death!!!!

I've got one & let anyone use it(just to watch them sweat) It takes a certain touch to use it & it takes a lot of use to learn that method(more than once in a while).
    Try this once.
    I got this for $35 when I was 17.

absolutely dead-broke and no job at that time.
    It had four flat tires.
    I had four tires from a junk car.

Using crow-bars and mallet & brick hammers......
    I worked for hours on end "braking the Bead" loose,
    and working the tires off 8 - EIGHT!! rims.
    Putting 4 back on wasn't so bad.
    BUT, the TransVair had wide-rims.....
    I had a tiny compressor but had to turnicet the tires by hand,
    to get them out to the beads.....to inflate.

If I didn't have a "vicegrip" by then, I did when I was done.

vg
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

When I was a kid, we lived on a farm. Every couple of weeks they would grade the roads - pulling up all the nails, screws, wire, etc. that was hidden under the surface. Then for the next week-and-a-half, we'd be fixing flats, so that we could start the cycle over again. I got really good at changing tires. Kinda felt like a NASCAR pit crew. I'd pull over in my 1977 Plymouth Arrow and open the hatch. Within about 2-and-a-half minutes I'd have the tire changed and be back on the road. Anyway, we at least had a way of breaking the beads down, and the irons to change them, but it was a pain.

Fast-forward a uh- few years, and I don't have anything to break down beads. I'm living a couple hundred miles from home, and I either don't have the money to pay somebody to patch a tire (they'll plug 'em for cheap, but...) or would rather use the money for other stuff. I didn't have my HF tire changer yet, so I found that if I put the tire under my truck and got my little portable floor-jack out, put it on top of the tire next to the rim, and started jacking, I could break beads fairly easily. I had to carefully use screwdrivers to mount and dismount, but it worked.

Then for a few years, I used my HF tire changer. I always thought I'd be getting a newer truck in a few months, so I didn't want to put new tires on it. (I still have the darn thing, because somebody else keeps totalling their vehicle, or something happens to it, requiring replacement of it first. ) So, it works. Lube helps. And it doesn't like some wheels and tires. But mostly, it works very well. I'm fairly proficient at it now. And, the whole thing cost me less than 2 tire irons would have cost. They seem very expensive!

Now I have this thing. Mudbug suggested that in a low-use situation, something less hard might work. In reality, I think this would easily fall into that category. I guess that's part of the reason I don't want to dump mucho bucks into it.

BTW, I have some pieces of spring steel left over from cutting slappers out of leaf springs. Ground smooth, those pieces of spring steel work very well as tire irons. I am going to take some 5/8" rod and weld that to one of them and see how it works. Right now, they are only about 12" long and they work pretty well. I don't know how the add'l leverage will affect things. And then there's the weld itself. Definitely worth trying, though.

Dave
      Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
      http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
      http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
      MM180
      SP125+

Comment

So, here's another thought...

Since I have the end that the shaft extension slips onto, and that's the part that is keyed, and (I would think) would really require the hardening, along with the other end, would this work? I think it would be easier to find a piece of shaft that is hardened and fit the dimensions of just 1 end than to find a piece that could be used for the whole thing, not to mention the machining would be easier. What if I could come up with a piece for the other end, machine a keyway into it, or whatever the gear requires, and then weld a piece of either solid rod (of more common material) or a thick walled piece of tubing in between the two ends? Would that be any more feasible? Or am I just pipe dreaming?

Dave

MM180
        SP125+

Comment

Originally posted by whateg0 View Post
          Since I have the end that the shaft extension slips onto, and that's the part that is keyed, and (I would think) would really require the hardening, along with the other end, would this work? I think it would be easier to find a piece of shaft that is hardened and fit the dimensions of just 1 end than to find a piece that could be used for the whole thing, not to mention the machining would be easier. What if I could come up with a piece for the other end, machine a keyway into it, or whatever the gear requires, and then weld a piece of either solid rod (of more common material) or a thick walled piece of tubing in between the two ends? Would that be any more feasible? Or am I just pipe dreaming?

Dave
          Do it baby !!
          If I understand your drift.

vg
          sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Well, Phil, for some reason I overlooked the obvious. Yeah. That should work. I had thought about cutting the other end off and then using it and a "new end" along with something in the middle. I don't know why I think like that. Duh! If I can find the piece to make the "new end" out of, why not just attach it to the existing piece. I'd better wait to take the measurement until I get the new gear. Not sure when that'll be, though. I'd hate to just make it the way it might be and then have to cut it off and re-do it.

Thanks!
            Dave

MM180
            SP125+

Comment

I was wondering

what the out-come turned out to be.?

vg
              sigpicViceGrip

Comment

You don't have to change many tires anymore to spend 200, I swore I would never have a machine but finally get one and its been worth it. We salvaged a tire a while back it would have cost 100 to replace, earns its keep fast. Another must have is a Safety Seal tire plug kit. Its paid for many over in short order, fast and they work well.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
                X