It's Alive & in my attick !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive & in my attick !!

Last night I saw a big head with two glinting eyes watching me from the top of my roof......It turned away Like a racoon would to flee garbage-cans when you approach.

Today my son heard a noise in the attick.
    This is a hundred year-old house , I let a box elder get huge just to the south as it has greatly reduced our AC costs in summer, and our porch is now inviting rather than sweltering.

I guess I should have kept the limbs back farther....
    the regulars here said bore a hole where the noise is and stuff loads of cecar chips or moth-ba11s in there and it will drive the animal ' s back out how-ever they got in.....otherwise if I seal them in we will be a stink'N.

Sound legit ?
    can't just pop em in the city ,
    well maybe on new-years eve , but dought he will be attending at the right time
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Well, I heard something scurrying around on my roof last month, so I went up on a ladder with a flashlight, and one of these fellows was up there. Really big eyes. They are Ringtailed Cats, also Called Miner's cats, because the gold miners used to keep them in their cabins to keep mice from getting into their precious food. they are plentiful in the southwest, but I doubt you have one up that far north (they have more sense than to winter up there!!)

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

High velocity pellet rifle will do the job and know one else will know. They are quick learners so witnesses might hide before you have a shot. If you cover access holes they chew new ones so need to get rid of unwanted guests first. Wrap tree trunk near building with metal higher than they can jump if possible. A great exterminator use live catch traps others will use sticky paper and poison bait. You then have to block all access holes. A good exterminator will do this or show you how. Old style moth ***** stink will run them out of house but modern ones will not. Hardware store or exterminator will have right ones. The smell will also drive you out of house.

Comment

A noise on the roof tonight could be no other than that jolly fat man in the red suit.
        Jim

Miller MM 210
        Miller Dialarc 250P
        Airco 225 engine driven
        Victor O/A
        Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-Tx View Post
          A noise on the roof tonight could be no other than that jolly fat man in the red suit.
          yeah, and he comes with venison!!! mmmm

Seriously, my girls' dad is a pest control guy, he found a momma coon and her litter in the attick of a house with about 80 pounds of feces....no good. He shot her twice with a .410 point blank and it didn't kill her, just ran her off. Be carefull going up there with a pellet rifle, you'll probably just tick her off, and them things can drown an 80 pound dog with ease! Your best bet is to get a good exterminator out there, or maybe a live trap will do, then find the entry point and fix it and prevent them from getting up there again.
          Contact me for any metal polishing needs you may have, my avatar is a pic of a standard, painted fire axe that I ground, sanded polished and buffed to a mirror finish.

Comment

Promt input is vastly appreciated ..... thanks !!

My plate is full and running over.
            trying to get that 16" S.B. lathe ready for Dale to take away.
            The wind the other day removed about 35 sq. ft. of rolled roofing from the 10degree part of the roof.

And now this .
            I wasn't prepared to have to figg'R this out, other than have a serious P-shooter ready in-case he turns up in the house before I get to him.

I do think once the limbs are trimmed back the problem will be over .....
            this is why. My grounds keeper.
            He finnished the last one.......drove it off dripping red stuff.
            never returned
            sigpicViceGrip

Comment

We live in Florida and we have a huge pecan tree just behind our house and when we first bought it we had squirrels playing hockey with the pecans in the attic, all holes closed and no more attic hockey. You could have a squirrel or something like that. I blew off some Raid foggers and closed holes
              Good luck
              Jim
              and
              Merry Christmas
              Millermatic 200
              Hobart Handler 120
              Black & Decker 14" chopsaw
              Dewalt 14" chopsaw
              And a serious big old Wells bandsaw
              F-550 pick-up

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Jimi View Post
                We live in Florida and we have a huge pecan tree just behind our house and when we first bought it we had squirrels playing hockey with the pecans in the attic, all holes closed and no more attic hockey. You could have a squirrel or something like that. I blew off some Raid foggers and closed holes
                Good luck
                Jim
                and
                Merry Christmas
                Hey ? you teasing us with that da_n thermometer ?

My son says he thinks it's squirels in the attick & a coon raiding their food staches in the eaves-troughs

thanks
                Phil
                sigpicViceGrip

Comment

hey vice go into the attic to see if you see any signs of what it might be,last year when contractors were remodeling my bosses house they left a part of an eave open, enter the coon wethey heard it at night boss goes up sees it it scurried off.next day we sealed up the hole and set a large live trap with apple pieces and peanut butter caught the next night.big female she must have been looking to nest. in one night she managed to take all the insulation off the new ac piping,if it is a small critter like a squirrell get a smaller trap use one of those little dried corn cobbs for bait,good luck

Comment

Vicegrip's Animal Sanctuary

I had a raccoon in my attic a few years back. Before I could get her out she had given birth to a bunch of babies. I set a big Have-A-Heart trap, but I didn't catch her. I started going up to my attic with my .22 revolver (loaded with shorts) but they would hear me coming, and would all scurry under the floor boards. Sometimes I'd catch sight of a baby raccoon tail disappearing as I came up through the trap door. That raccoon family made me feel like a real moron! She must have gotten sick of my intrusion into her space every night, and she moved them out. I lopped back my butternut tree branches, and they never came back.

Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You could open up "Vicegrip's Animal Sanctuary", maybe get a federal subsidy or something...
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX
                    Hobart T225 Stick
                    Hobart Handler 180
                    Airco O/A Rig
                    ESAB W-200 O/A torch

Comment

I trapped three coons around my trailer a couple years ago. Live traps ($1.00 day rental from Animal Control down here). Used fish flavored cat food in the tin. Caught three coons (one vicious big, scary male!! He was like a grizzly bear in that cage!!) Took each with me for along for my ride into town and turned them loose 30 miles from home...used a stick to open the cage for the big guy, and jumped back into the cab of the truck pronto!
                      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Allot of good ideas ....thanks

Better than starting at ground zero.
                        Never had wildabeasts in my dwelling before.
                        Garage Yes , but that was easier.

I think I have ladder and moth-ba11s work to do.
                        If I find a big hole , I don't think I want to face a coon ,
                        in an unlit attick with my only exit thrU a 22" sq. hole and 9 feet down a ladder.

.22 won't do but neither will 12ga. and .357 just make more openings
                        and I already have roofing to repair.

Coons make me nervous any-more,
                        I grew up in the country .....coons were nocturnal.
                        The one Herald attacked was coming by in broad daylight.
                        I was concerned about rabies.

VG
                        sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
                          Hey ? you teasing us with that da_n thermometer ?

thanks
                          Phil

Heck no to the home of Harley Davidson. I just think it's neat to see what the temperature is at the other guys house. And it's raining here now and a cold puky day for Christmas
                          Jim
                          Merry Christmas
                          Millermatic 200
                          Hobart Handler 120
                          Dewalt 14" chopsaw
                          F-550 pick-up

Comment

28 F ........I don't do the C thing

Can't get mine to blink
                            sigpicViceGrip

Comment

I got mine from
                              wunderground.com
                              just put your zipcode in and then go about halfway down the page and then click on WEATHER STICKER and do what it says and it's that easy
                              Jim
                              Millermatic 200
                              Hobart Handler 120
                              Dewalt 14" chopsaw
                              F-550 pick-up

Comment

Working...
                              X