X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom37
    replied
    TY drizler

I have tweaked a bit with the last few storms. I was having trouble with a little bit of chatter on my drives with inclines at the end. I added a piece of 3 inch angle welded 90 degrees to the back side of the cutting edge. Serving to purposes here, one to give an edge to reverse and aply heavy presure for the heavy packed tire marks, two trying to stop the chatter. Well it works perfect for the heavy pack tracks, my tracks come up no prob but the tracks from the paper man are froze down hard since he comes early morning and its usually several hours before I make it there.

The chatter seems to comes after the front tires pass the curb as the rear tires start to desend, at this point when the rear is down the blade is at an elevated level untill it drops down the curb. My thoughts are that the blade has a beveled edge from draging, this should be a good thing for cutting and lifting the snow. Seems like when the blade lifts slightly the bevel is now resting on the leading edge and trys to grab the concrete.

My first thought was to hard surface the 3/8 edge giving the blade a bead to ride on.

This seamed like a great idea untill I priced the rod, (61.60 a pound).
    Now since I splurged and bought a new Clark 180en, I'm thinkin that I am nearing the poor zone this month.

With any luck my dad told me today that he may have an old grader edge that I can use. This would be great, just have to bolt it on.

Other than the chatter the blade works Oh my god good. I was holding to one side or the other at first now I leave it loose. It floats to wich ever side has more resistance, this helps the blade conture to surface I am working on.
    The winch being slow is not a big deal now, I have adapted.
    Last edited by Tom37; 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM. Reason: because my pics wernt resized yet

Leave a comment:

• drizler
    replied
    I Think You Are Worrying About The Details Too Much

I plowed and continue to plow my 950' drive with an ancient 1950 ferguson and back blade ( Dearborn) dirt / multipurpose do anything blade probably older than I am. With my sort of rig it tows behind the tractor just about like yours using the weight for downpressure. When it hits something it tends to just bounce up and over causing no damage whatsoever. It wont even hook small stones like gravel chunks frozen on end or just prys them out and gone. You just have to be double careful dealing with things like curbs but I still can't see it doing more damage than a welder can easily fix, just drive slow in hazard areas.
    You say you lose a lot out the sides. I do too all the time and there is not much you can do about it. I bolted on a set of 1/4" wings about 12" on a side but it didn't do all that much good and bent so why bother? I set my angle slightly to one side and that piles most of it off where I get it with the next run.
    My hydraulics are very slow in winter a lot like your cable arrangement. Buy a bigger $$$ tractor or adapt, I just adapted. Start bringing it up early and its really not so bad. You can use the same method doing not quite frozen ground gravel driveways. Keep the cable a bit taunt so it sits light and you wont recontour the driveway. Its pretty easy really, just takes a little experience. The only thing about these sort of rigs is their tendency not to make the job picture perfect like some folks like. Myself I prescribe to the get er done philosophy rather than neatness so its fine.
    If you have traction issues try a set of chains. My 2wd tractor won't do anything without them, period and that goes double on black top. Another thing, don't let it pile up too much. I can do a quick half *** job twice in 1/4 the time knocking off 6" as opposed to a solid foot, especially if it is wet stuff. Again its a learning thing, finding what yours does best and how to do it.
    Thats a **** of an idea you have there and if nothing else it has one thing. A NICE WARM CAB! You haven't lived till you plowed 3 hours in a 30 mph wind at -20.

Leave a comment:

• Tom37
    replied
    Thanks for the wish of luck !!
    I spent most of last week in St Joe Missouri, not the worst of all storms but its not good at all. Makes ya feel for the 50+ year old man that says man its cold inside and wont leave his house for a shelter. Granted he is all alone, no family and several animals at home. Maybe a little stubborn too. You still feel real sorry for them all. BTW all the pics in the world can never come close to what it really looks like when you roll in to town. I have a few pics I'll post in a few days.

Hey vicegrip in the spare time I had to use the blade today, and was able to test how easy it would catch an edge. I sure didnt plan this but it seems that the way the piviot for up and down just happened to be in the right spot. I put the blade over a small parking stoper and eased up to it then over it. When the blade hits the leading edge and begins to stop, then the pressure on the egde pushing backward wants to lift at the piviot then drop back to the drive. In no way would I want to hit a parking curb but it worked for a sort of a test. I only do drives with this and I sure dont go fast. Also I count on the cut edge to leave a rather clean trail when I leave. The only real problem I have had is to give enough slack in the winch for whan the front tires go down a crub and the rear goes up. Not a big prob and maybe solved with experince, I just dont like a backlashed winch drum.

Have a good night all, and with any luck I may get to have tomorrow off.
    Then Monday its back to snow covered Ice. Gota really love your job!
    Be Back Soon

Leave a comment:

• litman252
    replied
    Tom37 is prob. still working on the ??? 300,000 without power............

Best of luck, stay safe and use the plow when done.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• vicegrip
    replied
    brain fart ?

?????????????

Leave a comment:

• Tom37
    replied
    Very good question. The answer is no :-(... I am still trying to think that one thru in my head. I just cant quit get a grasp on how I want it to trip. I was trying to think of a way to make just the cutting edge trip. Maybe using some DOM to make a sort of hinge that when triped would compress the spring instead of streaching the spring like the conventional method. Since the blade is attached at the top it makes it tough to figure out. I didnt put a whole lot of thought into it untill I was sure this whole thing would work to my satisfaction. Also its not like I am going fast at all. For now I have rounded the edges on either side, and I have been hooking my chain to hold things to one side. Crossing my fingures and toes that I remember all the lips and ledges. BTW tonight is not a good night to plan since its iceing and getting worse, there sayin KC could look like OK city by tomorrow night. And since I work on AT&T / Power Co joint use poles, theres a good chance that tonight is my last night at home for a while. Gee I oughta be figuring out how Im gona run my furnace when my lights go out. I heard tonight that we may have to call for help from as far as a 12 hour drive. They wont know till daylight. Goodnight all.. Hope to be back soon.

Leave a comment:

• vicegrip
    replied
    A shear pin ?

If you had the bad luck of catching a raised peice of pavement parallel.
    to the blade can anything shear?, or say a releif/spring/load.....that would let the blade give-to-the-back......and snap forward again ?

Hate to see the work get corkscrewed.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Tom37
    replied
    it snowed a bit

Thursday brought a bit of snow. It was a very wet heavy snow, just right for a test. The blade seems to want to run to one side more then the other but I have the angle chain if I want to hold it one way. At less then 3 MPH the snow just scoots out the side. Drive a tad faster then it will roll out the side. Being a very wet snow I didnt seem to have any trouble with sticking. For the most part the blade works great. Its a little slow on the up and down but I dont do this as a full time job so speed isnt to big of a deal. Did I mention that sitting in the truck seat sure is warmer then sitting on the lawn mower that I used to use. I do think that I will add 2 down pessure springs. I left just a bit of a tire track after the first pass, it was a wet slushy mix that made ice when ran over.
    Good Day All

Leave a comment:

• Tom37
    replied
    Heart attack snow. I like that one. Heck the snows probally better for me then the cigarettes I still smoke. Cigs sure dont help the forearms much, now a beer! at least it has weight! :-). Gota quit smokin, its rough when ya got a smoke in your mouth and drop the hood. Its really rough on the beard, and wooooooweeeee hair stinks!

I'll have to drag myself out tomorrow if it isnt rainin and take a few pics since I painted the blade. Just used a couple cans of implement red on the blade and some dollar black on the frame. The red is an enamel and seems pretty slick, dono tho gona have to try it. The good oll neighbor comes over the other night and says....... BTW this is after a few nipps on the scotch..(Back in the old days us seasoned pro's would spray a little cookin spray on the blade so the snow would just fly right off. OMG all I could think about was the National Lampons X mas Vacation when the sled flys Fast across Walmart parking lot.
    I dont think I'll spray it but I may wax the front side. Oh boy depressed now the weather man changed the forcast from this morning sayin six inches to now it will probally just rain and slight freezing rain. Great Really Great! I should just move. Kansas City just isnt ment for those who like the snow.
    Have a great night.

Leave a comment:

• vicegrip
    replied
    Originally posted by Burnit View Post
    wow those are nice, and you can use them on radial, belted and "conventional" tires, good thing lol!

Did you get the 1978 price too?

$55........think'n about the Cable chains ??$$ they used too advertise??

hard to say

Leave a comment:

• Burnit
    replied
    wow those are nice, and you can use them on radial, belted and "conventional" tires, good thing lol!

Did you get the 1978 price too?

Leave a comment:

• vicegrip
    replied
    Could have Used it here Yesterday ....I'll say

Got hammered , not so much "accumulation"
    But the real heavy stuff after it settles , "heart-attack" snow.

which brings up the point of type of Paint ??
    some resist Iceing & slush build-up.
    No expert .....just observer / listener.

Had to be across the border for the "eccential" overtime.
    couldn't even get across town .....lots of folks trapped in the river vally down-town ......couldn't climb the hills

My solution !!!!
    Good old friendly independant auto store (The last ONE here).
    same guy who found the right cam bearings for my 409 (348 actually)
    but .000432 of the population would know what that was.

in the back of the store since '78'

Leave a comment:

• Tom37
    replied
    Thanks for the intrest Vicegrip

I also am not totally sure how it will act. I am hoping that the side with more resistance, which will be the side with the furrow of snow, will hold the blade the right way. I have incorporated a locking feature since the pics. I took a piece of chain and ran it from a center point under the winch post, leaving just enough chain so I can hook the blade when in the up position then when lowered the chain becomes tight as the blade hits the ground. When not using the chain for angle it can hook in the saftey chain hole on the hitch. I had to do this since I do the mother-in-laws drive and it must roll snow to the right, Grandmas drive must roll snow to the left.
    I was hopeing for snow today but right now after midnight and its 64 freaking degrees. Great weather man he is. Yesterday he said freezing rain.

I did take it out and drag it the other night, it seemed to drag very smooth, it did tend to hang more to the right then the left but that may have been due to the crown of the road. I managed to peel the yellow stripe off the road for a few feet untill I saw it.

Ok enough blabbing I will post more as soon as it snows and I can try it.

Again thanks for the intrest.

Leave a comment:

• vicegrip
    replied
    I'm impressed

And watching this thread closely !!

??
    will this have a tendency to yaw back and forth like a hay-waggon
    with too much play in the pintle-hitch.

Not try'ing to be a Pooper, just sorta apply-ing a mental graphics...
    likely I have missed some detail.

Good work !!

vg

Leave a comment:

• partagas
    replied
    I like the design. I also like that you have made it so that it folds up and easy to travel with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X