SuperPlow / Drag Plow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperPlow / Drag Plow

Has anyone built a drag plow for snow? I clean several drives, and I am getting tired of sittin on my old lawn tractor. It works good but its cold.
    I looked at a superplow and like it alot. Looks like about 100 bucks of new steal, 1.... 1/4 inch wall 24 inch dia 4 foot long tank that I have. Then most important of all is a pump and a ram. I am not sure about the hydro part. The complete unit most likely should weigh between 150 and 300 lbs, Any knowledge on what pressure and size 12 volt pump to look for?

This is very similar to a drag blad for a 3 point hitch. My last resort if the hydro parts are to pricey is to use a 2000 lb 12 volt winch. I just think the pump and ram would be much cleaner looking.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
    Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

I looked at the video. It actually looks pretty good. It wouldn't work for me as I have a long gravel driveway. The first time that plowblade hit a frozen stone in the driveway, I'd be afraid it would tear the hitch right off of my truck. As long as you have a paved driveway, and don't have more than 4-6 inches of snow to remove, it would probably work just fine. I can't help you with your question about the pump or the pressure of it. No experience with that. If you decide to go with this type of plow, give us a report later on! It would be interesting to hear what your experience is with it.
    Corm

Miller 180SD, Millermatic 251, Lincoln SP125+, Hypotherm 350

Comment

started working on the plow

The suns out and its susposed to be 70 today. It was a great day to build. I started from scratch on this one. Had to cut the moldboard from a length of 20" 3/8 wall pipe. Used aprox. 1/3 of the pipe 7' long. The rest was 2" 1/4 wall square tube. Well not the rest, I had to get my cutting edge from a piece of 3/8 bent plate. And used the scraps from that to make the pivit points and the hinge points.

I bought something new for drilling, its proballynot new to u all. I belive that the name was (brute) bits. They drill a core with carbide on the cutting edge. Today I drilled 16 hole with the drill press and 2 with the cordless. The store told me if I treat the bit nice I should exepct atleast 150 holes. He had a customer that drill 600 hole with one bit, BTW its a 1" bit. Now I drilled a 1/4" hole thru the tube to line my holes since the brute will only drill 1" deep. The gods must have been on my side today because all of my pins lined and went right in. I will buy these bit for 1/2 and up, its unreal how great they work. I will try to post some pics tomorrow to see what u all think. Since I dont live in the NE all my neighbors think I'm crazy. The guy across the street ask how many beers I had today. Told him none yet,,, Why?
      He slurred his words as ussual, saying ummmmm man it looks like ur putting that thing on the wrong end of the truck.

I guess these are new to the midwest because the only thing close that I had ever seen here is a 3 piont blade on a farm tractor.
      Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
      Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
      Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
      http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

I used to work at the company that used to build them ( that was over a year and a half ago). And from what I can remember they are HEAVEY...... We built the hardware and nothing to do with the pumps. But if you do a search you should be able to see the 1st gens. They were made using winchs to lift the blade and then the weight to help lower it.

Here is a link to the company I used to work for
        http://www.vmchoppyandsons.com/products.htm

Comment

trying to post a few pics

These are the first plan. Note .... first isnt always best
          Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
          Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
          Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

pics

OK here is the rest of the first plan.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
            Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
            Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

More Pics Plan B

Got it together and didnt have enough lift and was straining for power. I guess I got the fulcrum point a little off. This was a simple fix, not pretty but effective. Once its proved I'll make it look nice.

Here is the first vert up 7018 that I wasnt embarrassed to post, I have thick skin so all advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Tom37; 11-18-2007, 11:24 PM. Reason: forgot a pic
              Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
              Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
              Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

I guess this could possibly be in the projects category but I started here because what I was working on was so closely related to farm equipment. Hopefully no one will mind to much.
                Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
                Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

I like the design. I also like that you have made it so that it folds up and easy to travel with.

Comment

I'm impressed

And watching this thread closely !!

??
                    will this have a tendency to yaw back and forth like a hay-waggon
                    with too much play in the pintle-hitch.

Not try'ing to be a Pooper, just sorta apply-ing a mental graphics...
                    likely I have missed some detail.

Good work !!

vg
                    sigpicViceGrip
                    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Thanks for the intrest Vicegrip

I also am not totally sure how it will act. I am hoping that the side with more resistance, which will be the side with the furrow of snow, will hold the blade the right way. I have incorporated a locking feature since the pics. I took a piece of chain and ran it from a center point under the winch post, leaving just enough chain so I can hook the blade when in the up position then when lowered the chain becomes tight as the blade hits the ground. When not using the chain for angle it can hook in the saftey chain hole on the hitch. I had to do this since I do the mother-in-laws drive and it must roll snow to the right, Grandmas drive must roll snow to the left.
                      I was hopeing for snow today but right now after midnight and its 64 freaking degrees. Great weather man he is. Yesterday he said freezing rain.

I did take it out and drag it the other night, it seemed to drag very smooth, it did tend to hang more to the right then the left but that may have been due to the crown of the road. I managed to peel the yellow stripe off the road for a few feet untill I saw it.

Ok enough blabbing I will post more as soon as it snows and I can try it.

Again thanks for the intrest.
                      Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                      Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
                      Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

Could have Used it here Yesterday ....I'll say

Got hammered , not so much "accumulation"
                        But the real heavy stuff after it settles , "heart-attack" snow.

which brings up the point of type of Paint ??
                        some resist Iceing & slush build-up.
                        No expert .....just observer / listener.

Had to be across the border for the "eccential" overtime.
                        couldn't even get across town .....lots of folks trapped in the river vally down-town ......couldn't climb the hills

My solution !!!!
                        Good old friendly independant auto store (The last ONE here).
                        same guy who found the right cam bearings for my 409 (348 actually)
                        but .000432 of the population would know what that was.

in the back of the store since '78'
                        sigpicViceGrip

Comment

wow those are nice, and you can use them on radial, belted and "conventional" tires, good thing lol!

Did you get the 1978 price too?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnit View Post
                            wow those are nice, and you can use them on radial, belted and "conventional" tires, good thing lol!

Did you get the 1978 price too?

$55........think'n about the Cable chains ??$$ they used too advertise??

hard to say
                            sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Heart attack snow. I like that one. Heck the snows probally better for me then the cigarettes I still smoke. Cigs sure dont help the forearms much, now a beer! at least it has weight! :-). Gota quit smokin, its rough when ya got a smoke in your mouth and drop the hood. Its really rough on the beard, and wooooooweeeee hair stinks!

I'll have to drag myself out tomorrow if it isnt rainin and take a few pics since I painted the blade. Just used a couple cans of implement red on the blade and some dollar black on the frame. The red is an enamel and seems pretty slick, dono tho gona have to try it. The good oll neighbor comes over the other night and says....... BTW this is after a few nipps on the scotch..(Back in the old days us seasoned pro's would spray a little cookin spray on the blade so the snow would just fly right off. OMG all I could think about was the National Lampons X mas Vacation when the sled flys Fast across Walmart parking lot.
                              I dont think I'll spray it but I may wax the front side. Oh boy depressed now the weather man changed the forcast from this morning sayin six inches to now it will probally just rain and slight freezing rain. Great Really Great! I should just move. Kansas City just isnt ment for those who like the snow.
                              Have a great night.
                              Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                              Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
                              Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X