1996 Dodge Ram Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Dodge Ram Question

Well, I just got me a spankin' "new" 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4. So, I'll likely ask a few questions as things come up from you Dodge experts. Anyway, the bright red "Air Bag" light on the dash is always lit, and doesn't dim with the dash lights. What does that mean? Airbag is good? Airbag is inoperative? I'll do a search, but do any of you know right off the bat?

On my '99, it means the airbag is turned off. Stick the key in the slot and turn it back on and the light will go out......on mine. I know the '98's are the same. Not sure how far back that feature goes. Does it have a key slot by the light?
    Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

I believe you can only turn off the passenger side airbags, and my 96 only had driver-side. If your airbag light is lit on the dash I'm pretty sure it means there's a failure in the airbag system somewhere.
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Heck, I don't care about the air bag so much. I just want the darn light off. The light is in the dash, and I don't remember seeing a key for it. I'll check on it this morning as I head out with an as-yet empty truck to HD for supplies for another job that starts today...

Comment

My anitlock brake light for my 92 Dakota came on and wouldn't go out. Since it was only rear anti-lock and they didn't seem to work all that well anyway I just pulled the bulb. It's an old truck with 400,000 kms on it so I decided it wasn't worth repairing.
          Doug Arthurs
          Kent Bridge Ontario

Comment

Mac, you could just pull the fuse. I'd assume it to be on its own circuit.
            Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dda52
              Mac, you could just pull the fuse. I'd assume it to be on its own circuit.
              I'd agree that the airbag probably has its own circuit, but I bet the idiot light is on a separate one, so that if the airbag fuse becomes inoperative, you'd still get a warning light.
              Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Good idea guys, I'll check the fuse layout this weekend when I swap out my boxes, welders, and tools. I'm keeping the Ford for at least a month to make sure this new guy is reliable. Then, I'll have to sell it. Amy likes her car, still. I can't stand it; always feel like I'm in a death-trap, especially since big heavy SUVs became such a fad in the hands of teenage girls.

Comment

The wifes car had the airbag light come on a few years ago, in that case it was poor ground between a metal relay housing and the firewall. At least they called it a relay, thinking about it more afterward, I would have to think there would be some sort of inertia or motion sensor to activate the airbag. I always wondered if this was the sensor, but since we sold the car a year ago, guess I'll never know.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702
                    Good idea guys, I'll check the fuse layout this weekend when I swap out my boxes, welders, and tools. I'm keeping the Ford for at least a month to make sure this new guy is reliable. Then, I'll have to sell it. Amy likes her car, still. I can't stand it; always feel like I'm in a death-trap, especially since big heavy SUVs became such a fad in the hands of teenage girls.
                    Dontcha just hate it Mac? Had a lady in a SUV come at me head on the other day...Eatin pizza and steering with her elbows...L
                    "Why do i ask such difficult questions? 'Cause i know the answers to the easy one's!"
                    *****Heineken*****
                    -any questions or discussions on 'gout' are welcome-

Comment

My car guy is checking the TSBs and such and I'm first going to have him hook it up to the OBD. He said it might be only a $100 fix, sometimes.

Comment

Yes, if you have only a driver's side airbag, the SRS light on means the system has a problem and has been disabled. I do see a lot of clock spring problems ( the unit under the steering wheel). Does the horn work? Sometimes that's a dead givaway, but if the horn works the clock spring can still be bad. A scan of the Airbag system is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFriggsit
                          Yes, if you have only a driver's side airbag, the SRS light on means the system has a problem and has been disabled. I do see a lot of clock spring problems ( the unit under the steering wheel). Does the horn work? Sometimes that's a dead givaway, but if the horn works the clock spring can still be bad. A scan of the Airbag system is necessary.
                          Yeah, the horn works. Except I got cut off the other day (people still cut off one-ton trucks...) and tried laying on the horn and the brakes at the same time. The brakes worked fine, but the horn is these two buttons on the side instead of just mashing the center like my Ford. That'll take some getting used to.

Comment

Mac...ya might want to disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes then hook it back up....that'll force the computer to start over and not hold it in memory....It works on my Dakota when the 'anti lock abs' light came on and wouldn't go off.....cleared it out and turned the light off.....yes abs still works.....might jus' work for the airbag as well.
                            Hope that helps.
                            -HH175
                            -Airco O/A Set

'If you lose the Second Amendment....... How many rights do you think you'll really have left?"

Comment

mac, I agree, light on permanently = fault in system and airbag has been disabled by comuter. did you get the cummins in her? I have a 95 with cummins, best truck I could own.
                              Proud owner of Bushwacker Mobile Welding
                              Pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X