Free hobby scrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free hobby scrap?

please excuse cross posting. Forgot this forum. And w due respect for actual artists here.

Hi All,
    Used to have a several welders but needed to get rid of them. Now in retirement I am looking at just being a yard art hobby welder. Picked up a Chinese inverter 115/240 stick for cheap. That with gloves, an inexpensive AD hood, cut-off wheel, and a brush/hammer and I am good to go.

I don't want to pay for odds n ends scrap. My local landfill used to let people pick over the scrap metal, but decided it was unsafe (and they are right, so I don't have a beef with them) and stopped that.

Besides of driving the streets for what's left at the curb and dumpster diving, where are productive places for finding mild steel junk. My local junk dealer/scrap yard wants to sell by the pound and that's expensive. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Garfish

Garfish

Didn't the risk of liability ruin the fun. Followed by the price per ton. My suggestion is advertise to do scrap metal pickup and they will find you.

Comment

Where you from? I might recommend someone who can pick them up for you.
      concrete tuscaloosa al

Comment

You should post your location, or the answers won't be much help.

If you were near enough Clark County, NV, you could walk through my yard and leave with enough for your retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by garfish View Post
          please excuse cross posting. Forgot this forum. And w due respect for actual artists here.

Hi All,
          Used to have a several welders but needed to get rid of them. Now in retirement I am looking at just being a yard art hobby welder. Picked up a Chinese inverter 115/240 stick for cheap. That with gloves, an inexpensive AD hood, cut-off wheel, and a brush/hammer and I am good to go.

I don't want to pay for odds n ends scrap. My local landfill used to let people pick over the scrap metal, but decided it was unsafe (and they are right, so I don't have a beef with them) and stopped that.

Besides of driving the streets for what's left at the curb and dumpster diving, where are productive places for finding mild steel junk. My local junk dealer/scrap yard wants to sell by the pound and that's expensive. Ideas? Thanks in advance.
          Garfish

Check local welding shops, since they often will dispose of unusable offcuts at less than scrap prices, but stupid tariffs have largely eliminated low price and free scrap, other than alley-patrols. I frequently put some scrap out in the alley, and it disappears overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

Check local welding shops, since they often will dispose of unusable offcuts at less than scrap prices, but stupid tariffs have largely eliminated low price and free scrap, other than alley-patrols. I frequently put some scrap out in the alley, and it disappears overnight! tabby concrete charleston
            Wow! Lucky you. I've been leaving my scraps down our alley but no one wants it. Where are you located?

Comment

I also have connections all over the place, fill me in on what and where you need it and I'll see what I can do for you!
              -Dillon - https://www.paintersbrandonmb.com/ | https://www.drivingschoolwinnipeg.com/

Comment

Working...
              X