Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Spring Table

Hello Artisans,

Has anyone welded leaf springs? My wife bought some haughty distressed patio chairs, she works for Habitat for Humanity and her office has a ReStore attached. The chairs were donated and she purchased 4 of them. We don't have a patio table, so I told her I would build one. I have already built 4 or 5 tables/carts.
    I decided to use a 10" piece of pipe I have and get some leaf springs and build a base for a round patio table.
    I got some well used springs off a Mustang to cut in half and weld them to the pipe, to hold the 36" round piece of glass we bought at the ReStore. Building a round table because our deck is not real big. I need some guidance on welding the cut springs. Read some hotrod forums and it was all "you can't weld leafs". For automotive use, I can see it weakening them. All information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    I have a welder, but I,m not a weldor

Originally posted by nascar_red View Post
    Hello Artisans,

Has anyone welded leaf springs? My wife bought some haughty distressed patio chairs, she works for Habitat for Humanity and her office has a ReStore attached. The chairs were donated and she purchased 4 of them. We don't have a patio table, so I told her I would build one. I have already built 4 or 5 tables/carts.
    I decided to use a 10" piece of pipe I have and get some leaf springs and build a base for a round patio table.
    I got some well used springs off a Mustang to cut in half and weld them to the pipe, to hold the 36" round piece of glass we bought at the ReStore. Building a round table because our deck is not real big. I need some guidance on welding the cut springs. Read some hotrod forums and it was all "you can't weld leafs". For automotive use, I can see it weakening them. All information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    I know that this table has likely already been completed, but just noticed the post with no answer.

You certainly can use leaf springs for this purpose, with a little advice. Since these are a medium carbon steel, and your pipe is likely mild steel, I would heat the spring end to be welded to red-heat for about 1/2 to 3/4" from end and let cool slowly. This anneals and softens the MC steel to limit cracking and you can weld with whatever you have around.

Another alternative would would be to stick-weld with properly treated 7018 or 8018 as is, but not everyone has this available.

A third alternative would be to weld it up and hope no cracks of any consequence develop, but this is never my choice!

Comment

Leaf Spring Table

Northweldor,

Thank you for the valuable information, I haven't even cut the springs yet. I will be welding with a Hobart 140 welder. Hopefully I can have it finished for using in the fall. It is still pretty hot in North Texas now.

Thanks again
      I have a welder, but I,m not a weldor

Comment

Originally posted by nascar_red View Post
        Northweldor,

Thank you for the valuable information, I haven't even cut the springs yet. I will be welding with a Hobart 140 welder. Hopefully I can have it finished for using in the fall. It is still pretty hot in North Texas now.

Thanks again
        With probable 1/4" or thicker springs, you are probably going to have to use your your 140 wide open with multiple passes, but should work for this application.

Comment

Working...
        X