Finished flying tiger srap art airplne-large

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished flying tiger srap art airplne-large

Well, its BIG! 68" Wingspan, 62" overall . Wind spins the prop. Sits with 'proper' attitude, and has lifting eyes to hang from tree, rafters, etc., so can be suspended in any dive/bank attitude the owner wishes.

Loosely modeled after a Curtiss P40 Fighter...the original plane of the AVG (American Volunteer Group) "Flying Tigers" in China. Interestingly, the Sharks Mouth nose art was first used on a German BF110 Messerschmidt Twin engined "Destroyer" Attack Bomber, then adopted by the AVG.

This is made from a truck muffler, and has a thin plate tail section attached with rebar Framework skinned in both aluminum and galvanized thin sheet from AC ducts. The wings have a simple rebar framework with aluminum skin stretched over (Rolled over-'n-under the rebar to secure it to the frame). Landing gear is from golf bag cart, rear wheel from Wheelchair foot rest. Propeller is a ceiling fan, cut down and re-shaped,, spinner is from a lantern flashlight.

I painted the markings, and I know they are not authentically correct, but are intended to convey the general theme of the plane. Originally I was going to paint it camo upper, sky blue belly, but the aluminum wings looked so good I abandoned that idea.

I also include some pics of it before the markings were applied.

Last edited by Hotfoot; 07-21-2015, 01:47 PM. Reason: Spellings
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Another superb effort, Foot!!!
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Lots of work in that and it shows...well done!

Comment

I love it! I think this is your best one yet!
        Scott

Comment

Man

You have grown !!!

Comment

Soon, you will have to have an air-show, with the entire squadron!

Comment

Thanks, guys!

I put a more correct spinner on the prop, but neglected to take a picture...its over at the shop I usually place them in to get them out of my way here, I'll be over there in a couple days, and will take a picture of that prop spinner then.
              "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

More correct spinner, like a cone?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coneheads_Poster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	666155

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------
                DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
                Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

Correct! This is it showing off its new nose to some of its tin friends at the shop where I sell.

(The spinner was a gooseneck desk lamp)
                  "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Will we be waiting long for the B17s and B24s, Foot?
                    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Well done again!!
                      Miller 140 A/S
                      HF Flux Core
                      Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Smith O/A Torch
                      Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

I must have skipped over this project when it came out. Pretty cool.

Comment

Wow this guy is awesome! How long were you working on it? Way to go!
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------
                          John Connor: "You mean more advanced than you are?"
                          The Terminator: "Yes. A mimetic polyalloy."
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

(Late Reply) Didn't take all that long

I could have done the plane in about two days, but just 'got to it' in spurts over about two weeks as I tended to other things. I do get to a number of places in all my projects that just require more thinking,
                            Also, I never bother trying to get any piece out during July & August, just because it too hot down here in Texas.
                            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

looks great!!1 Good workmanship too.

Comment

Working...
                              X