Hood Car begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Car begins!

International Truck hood from the late 40's (?)...

I am going to make one of my little "art cars" from it. they have sold very well to bars, homes of art collectors, and are in gardens. One or two have been purchased by child photographers, who use them for posing young boys. This will be a race car with disc wheels...might have a driver...might not!

Slice and clamp...

Multiple slices...

...Interrupted by rain, will continue tomorrow (hopefully)...
    "Good Enough Never Is"

I can't wait.............
    HH187

Hobart 500i plasma

CLARK 4.5" GRINDER

1/2 HORSE ROCKWELL/DELTA DRILL PRESS

30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    DREMELL

1998 JEEP CHEROKEE

XBOX 360

AGE AND WISDOM

DESIRE TO BUILD STUFF ON THE CHEAP

Comment

Errrr, It's quit raining here and the sun's back out, more pics please. I like this project. David

Comment

This is the concept I did in my computer a while back...

..and a quick computer clean-up of the tail..

Doing these computer sketches helps me try out new ideas as I go along without a bunch of re-do on the piece itself.
        Last edited by Hotfoot; 05-16-2010, 09:22 PM.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Foot,
          Race car? Looks like it would be the perfect candidate for a lead sled.
          Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

I thought of that, too, but I never really know where I'll end up!
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

'looks like its going to be a Boat Tail..I have some beatin' and poundin' to do, plus cut some thin backer strips for gap fills.

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Front end "suspension" (totally non-functional) done today...

I'll do the seam finishing, ****pit trim/finish after I put the rear wheels on (maybe tomorrow!)...'just not enough time!...and the galleries are "nudging" me to get some product to them...

When I finished a bit of welding on one of the hubs, with the tire mounted on the wheel, I stated hearing a king of "crackling" sound, and determined that it was coming from that tire, and it was "pumping up" rather quickly! Remembering the post on this phenomenon, I quickly removed the valve stem, then got away! Well' no "boom", but that tire did gain many psi as it sat there. I only did a small weld at the hub area of the wheel,,,spooky, when I think of the many welds and cuts I have done on wheels with mounted tired.
                Last edited by Hotfoot; 05-25-2010, 12:10 AM.
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                X