Question for Hotfoot or anyone that has done it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Hotfoot or anyone that has done it

Hotfoot, you seem to be the answer guy on building bell's from old tanks such as oxy from the welding suppliers. I have something that I am giving thought to making. It will be using a cut up oxy bottle ans have a design I want on it.

My question after talking to the guy at the welding supply is that as hard as the bottles are, have you tried to apply a design by using a engraving tool or such? Also, have you or anyone else used a needle scaler (see url http://www.novatekco.com/html/needle_scalers.html ) to do the engraving.

The design will be like a crane that is used by martial artist.

Thanx for any help.

Wayne

Alien Town NM

I have not mechanically engraved one, but I don't use that technique on anything. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

A Plasma Cutter would do an excellent job, set it for your desired penetration, and clean the slag off with a flap disc. I sign all my cylinders with this technique. I am also going to experiment with some MIG brazing wire in the cut portion to make my signature look inlaid. I've purchased the wire, but haven't done it yet...too many irons!

All you would have to do is prep the cylinder (flap disc?), draw your design on with a sharpie, then go at it with the plasma.

No Plasma? Go for "positive relief" and do the design in MIG wire or with stick/rod.

I have a Needle Scaler, but have only used it for rust removal....I can envision that working for a "background" or textures, masking off the main image with a steel cutout of the shape taped over the piece.

You don't say what your skill level is, what equipment you have, etc...
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

yup Newbie

My skill level is kinda low, I do work at an automotive machine shop / repair so I have access to a lot. The bad thing is that we do not have tig/mig and with life being as it is that will have to wait, dang roof needs replacing. Anyway, I am lucky that I have friends that can help with some and a good relationship with a couple of welding shops that will do some for gratis or a small fee.
      We do have O/A and a stick welder so that part is taken care of.

I was just curious if you had used something like that for etching a design, On another forum some guys have said that they have used a air (palm) nailer and made tools to use in them. That is the other option I am looking at.

Thanx for the help. I really enjoy your work, makes me envy what I can't do at the present.

Wayne

Alien Town NM

Comment

Well, being slow and careful, you could do any design with nothing but a hardened punch and a small chisel...nothing more to it than center punching a start point for a drill x 1,000's. Think of how leather work is done.
        Your artistic ability comes into play, also.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
        X