What the...?? Giant Scale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the...?? Giant Scale!

Well, its got to be the strangest thing (and tha's saying something!) that I've drug home from an auction. Its a HUGE beam scale, with very nice polished chrome and brass parts, that stands about 3 feet or so above the steel table on its Cast Iron pedestal..The beam is a little over four feet long. Anyone ever seen anything like this??

I bought it to re-sell the table, which is 1/4" steel, 8 feet long, and beautiful condition. I figure $75.00 just for that on Craigslist. I have no idea what to do with the scale...maybe market it to deli, produce market, restaurant, etc. as a decor item??? better pictures when I get it unloaded. That man is 6'4"!

Last edited by Hotfoot; 12-13-2009, 08:03 PM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Old cotton scale? Maybe a meat scale for the whole carcass? Looks pretty foot...wish I had it.
    Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

it looks to me like part of a large platform scale used to weigh trucks or cattle or something of that nature.

Comment

Well, daylight allowed me to go out and examine my purchase. It is marked up to 5.000 Kilos (11,000 pounds), so its a hefty rig! I guess I can use it to weight my Gold Bars! Its made in Austria.
        Last edited by Hotfoot; 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Some pics...

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Poor guy's face was dissolving, so I fixed it.....
            so he could see where to put the scale.
            What is Brutto Tara ?
            Does it mean beautifull Scale, cuZ it IS!

vg
            Last edited by vicegrip; 12-16-2009, 01:32 AM.
            sigpicViceGrip
            Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

For a box of crackers

Net is weight of product

Tara is weight of packaging

Brutto is Gross weight of product and packaging.

Comment

I kinda figured out the Bruto Tara thing. That big Brass piece has a slot, and when I insert a slip of paper and pull the lever, it gets embossed with non-alphanumeric characters that are adjustable by sliding the two metal bars back and forth. I suspect it may be for marking a thin metal tag affixed to whatever it was weighting.

I have it on Craigslist locally, and if I don't roll it over there, it will become part of an art piece...I already have that beam leaning against the wall over next to my computer...I keep looking at it...Steampunk Weapon???...Creature???...giant Gizmo??...Whatever it becomes rt-wise, the five foot beam will get shortened, and the base will get disassembled, stripping all the 1/2" bar stock from it as well. That way I'll end up with over 50 pounds of some nice 1/2" flat bar for future projects. That cast iron pedestal could be a mailbox base or street address holder...

I've already recovered more than what I paid for the scale by selling the 7 x 2 foot 1/4" steel table it was bolted to for $75.00 (judging by the phone calls, it would have moved for $125.00, but I just wanted it out of the yard.

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I can't quite make out themanufacturer's name.
                  --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                  -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
                    I can't quite make out themanufacturer's name.
                    I was a bad stamp to start with, then when they buffed it for the Chrome Plating it obliterated that "blurred" portion.
                    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

I think it's definatly a beam for a platform scale----the "stamper" is used to stamp the weigh tickets to show the weight for pricing. Used in sale barns and feed stores.

Comment

Well, after a week of "No Nibbles" on Craigslist, it is most likely destined for some sort of Art Piece.
                        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Don't want to bust yer bubble but the thing is art as it sits for me. You might sell it to some antique trader or something. Heck it could be one of those rare things that come along in awhile worth some cash as is..

Comment

Sold it Monday to the same Bar/Restaurant that bought my Little Hot Rod car.

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                            X