Video of my Rotating Rings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of my Rotating Rings!

Not the best example of the rings, but I finally managed to load a video from my Cell Phone onto this forum! (Click on the picture)

http://tinypic.com/1r52ckls
    Last edited by Hotfoot; 08-13-2009, 10:25 PM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Thanks Hotfoot,

I think I may have to try my hand at one of these. Pretty nifty art. Great just Great!!!! Now I have to make time to hit the local thrift store to find a wheel for the lower portion. I think I have some large rings laying around somewhere.

Tom
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
    Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

They look a lot "more convincing" if the bottom is a flat disc (I'm thinking flat black plywood, with a stationary band around the edge), and the two rings are smooth and shiny (need to disguise the welds). I'm about to do a larger and a smaller one. This was my "gotta try that" experiment.
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

conduit?

Hey hotfoot. Looks pretty cool. Kind of like the old tire "sculptures" in front of tire shops.

What about using conduit? You could roll it into a circle and weld it together, even shine it up with a flap disk. Smooth circle. Of course, that doesn't help if you are trying to use up the bike rims. Oh, maybe roll the conduit around the bike rim, so it is nestled inside, like a metal tire. It would be smaller than an actual tire, but might still work.

M
        mnt

Comment

The illusion works better if the base appears stationary and only the two rings seem to move, as you note.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

Very cool Hotfoot! I'm diggin that. Thanks for the video

Comment

Haa Hotfot, put a 'manikan' in the middle, dress her up like a Hula girl ... just think of all the folks that will stop to look...
              Nice job..
              Jim
              Jim Young
              www.jimyo.com

Comment

Originally posted by JimYo View Post
                Haa Hotfot, put a 'manikan' in the middle, dress her up like a Hula girl ... just think of all the folks that will stop to look...
                Nice job..
                Jim
                Jim, you have no idea how close to my next version you actually are...not aHula girl..but...well...you'll see...
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

He's gonna do a mudflap girl sitting down inside the rings, guys ....

Actually, a ballerina or ice-skater wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Comment

You guys are shooting all around it..but you can't quite get there, because you have never seen anything quite like this beauty! You'll just have to be a bit patient...I'm looking for the right rings...the rest is all in place.
                    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Yeah I agree with Jim ya need to Hula girl
                      Miller 140 A/S
                      HF Flux Core
                      Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Smith O/A Torch
                      Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Well, I didn't come up with the right sized rings yet, so..just because I know "Enquiring Minds Want to Know"...here's the idea. Meet "Zwa Zwa". I "saw her form in a china Berry Tree root ball that was being bulldozed, trailed it home, and , basically cut away everything that didn't look like a "Human Dancer" form. Its as I found it, except the upper arm , which I cut and rotated about 90 degrees, and the same for the folded leg. I painted in in white pearl with some blue pearl accent over-brushed. I did this piece about five years ago, one of my last wood pieces before I got all tangled up in MIG wire!!: Its been at an old girl friends place, and she pretty much has divested herself of all the "stuff" I left behind.

Here's what I'm planning to do, using a phongraph turntable as the rotating source...

Last edited by Hotfoot; 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM.
                        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Working...
                        X