Another Gong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Gong

In reviewing photos of my previous gongs, I came to feel that I was in a "Gold/Red/Black" rut, but I wanted to turn out few more gongs, so this guy uses the original green paint on the bottle for the middle color. I call it "SGB" for Silver, Green, Black. A couple rows of rod dots, some black paint (artfully) applied around the bottom. Its had the Hot Oil Treatment, but not enough to change the color, except for the top, which I heated through black (the top is the flange off a wheel hub assembly). The top ornament is a cast iron piece I picked up at a Flea Market. 65" tall, 25" wide overall.

Last edited by Hotfoot; 11-13-2008, 10:22 AM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

very nice, as usual.

Jim
    IN GOD WE TRUST!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, Baffle them with bull$***.

AMERICA-LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Comment

HF, you continue to amaze me! Beautiful!

Comment

Like the colors

Can You tell Me how You get them? Thanks Tool

Comment

Flap disc (#40) the green off as desired to get to the silver, dry brush some black enamel on the bottom as desired. After dry, brush with Linseed Oil with some Japan Dryer, fire up the blow torch. I heated the top until it"went to black" (passing through yellow, gold , brown, but ket moving around it with the torch so as to not let the silver start turning), then I stated sweeping the torch up and down as I moved around until it got hot, but "Just on the verge" of turning yellow, and stopped. It takes few days hanging in the sun to lose its stickiness, but it will lose it.
          "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hotfoot,

You weren't by any chance a flamethrower operator in the Army, were you?
            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
            -------------------------

Comment

Nice work as always, I like the use of the torch to help acheive the color.
              Miller 140 A/S
              HF Flux Core
              Dewalt Chop Saw
              Smith O/A Torch
              Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Working...
              X