Using Angle Iron for Heavy Shelving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Angle Iron for Heavy Shelving

My husband is building me 4 foot wide, 2 foot deep, 2 inch thick walnut live edge shelves. We are considering using angle iron to essentially slide the shelves onto for mounting. We can't seem to find anything that will float that size. They probably weigh 50lbs per shelf without anything on them. My question is, will angle iron support them if we use it on three sides? So for instance the entire length of the back 40" and 20 inches on each side? He picked up 1/8th x 3/4" angle iron from Lowes. Thanks in advance!

I'm all for DIY stuff, but you or the hubby need to draw a picture of what your attempting and post it. From the sounds of things, you trying to Ikea shelf it and I'm going to say no. Did he keep the receipt? As it sounds, in theory it will probably work but that assuming you screw, lag or bolt to something solid, close to the ends and even then, I'd bet you'll notice a droop.

Comment

Ahem.... Buying angle iron from Big Box store you are paying about 4X what you can get it for from local "steel sales"... For a mere $10.99 you can get a 4 ft piece at Lows or Handyman for about $15.99 you can get a 20 foot length at local steel sales...... 2 X 2 X 3/16 inch will probably support any shelf you can put on it.... The real issue is what are you attaching the angle iron to.... Weld it to vertical uprights or lag screwing to wall and using angle bracing on ends to hole it up?..... It's probably not a question of will material hold up your shelf its more how is shelf assembly constructed....

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Thank you, I should have provided more information. The sheetrock is in place, so we cannot go behind the wall to install. My husband will be screwing the angle iron into the studs using construction screws. Floating is not an option because the shelves aren't quite thick enough to drill into them to use a custom made set of floating shelf supports, which would be the best option but not possible. Studs are 16 on center. So for 24 inches deep we might hit two studs? The back we should hit 2 or three across 40 inches.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8548.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	705135
        Last edited by jeslyn0623; 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Your drawing while showing good intention doesn't reflect the severity of weight applied to the 1/8" x 3/4" x 3/4" angle material to be used? Think twist? The softness of the wall support material and the contact points x 2. With the scale shown it looks like your angles are as thick as arthritic fingers and sized to the thickness of the material for leg length, 2"? That thick and heavy isn't going to bend or twist easily. I think the angle will sag twist and curl from the weight of the slab unless the attachment ipoint s close to the ends and numerous screws used to stiffen it to the slab. Weld one up, clamp it in a vise and apply some weight?
          My concern would be the bottom lip and the weight causing it to pinch and collapse in the drywall?
          Are you open to revising the material you hoped to use?

Comment

Yes, absolutely we would reconsider the material used. I just need a solution that will hold the weight. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Yes. Not saying better or worse, just something to concider? The big change being the backer that's screwed to the wall now having two points of anchor.
              While I have drawn showing a similar material as the backer screwed to the ends as knee bracing, welding your angle allowing the slab to rest on top will accomplish the same thing. You will have to decide what's functional and pleasing to the eye hanging on the wall. You could substutite a square tube for the angle and plug the end with a tube glide/cap? I'm again offering suggestions to what I perceived to be "flaws" to the original design, not sure what you have for tools equipment or budget, but there are plenty of ways to skin a cat and I was simplifing with the use of one singular material type. Good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5745.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	705160

Comment

Working...
              X