Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless or Galvanized tanks into smoker / bbq pit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless or Galvanized tanks into smoker / bbq pit?

Can I do this. I picked these up from a shop where they build and rebuild huge electric motors. Supposed to have some of chemical in them. I was told by different emplyees different things was in them. I was told varnish, acid, and chemical. One was supposed to be a hot tank and the other a cold tank. My question is if I just build a hot fire inside them would all the chemical come out and then be safe to use as a smoker / bbq pit ?

I don't think I would be comfortable when used for food preparation just looking at outside condition, no matter what was in them or how you cleaned them...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
      I don't think I would be comfortable when used for food preparation just looking at outside condition, no matter what was in them or how you cleaned them...

Dale
      Nope, I would not do it either! Good answer Dale M.!
      A few of my toys !!!

MX Linux
      LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
      Lincoln Weldpak 100
      Gianttech Arc 200
      Victor O/A

Comment

Well the lid and hinges are for sure stainless. It still almost has the mirror look under the lid. Now to figure out what kind of chemical was actually in it. Even if not a smoker I gotta figure out a use for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutz Farm View Post
          Well the lid and hinges are for sure stainless. It still almost has the mirror look under the lid. Now to figure out what kind of chemical was actually in it. Even if not a smoker I gotta figure out a use for it.
          Many people make barbecues an smokers out of drums and tanks of dubious origin, using nothing but "burn-out", but I havr always wondered about the long-term effects. I agree you should be checking with chemical experts on this one.

Comment

I would think stainless could be cleaned well enough. No way would I consider a galvanized tank.

Comment

For what it is worth I got a brutal fire in it right now. All the gray paint......maybe chemical is flaking off. Pretty hot as some of the steel is warping.
              Speaking of burn out that fire is doing something because you can smell it.
              All the old timers say you will be fine. Just make sure its hot. Couple mentioned what is different between that and a propane tank? Propane is a chemical. I just say I dunno.

Comment

Hey Mutz Farm, Welcome to the forum.
                It sounds like you are going for it.
                You'll probably be OK.
                And if not, the bright side is, YOU'LL GET TO MEET DARWIN.
                ~0le
                "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

Originally posted by ~0le View Post
                  Hey Mutz Farm, Welcome to the forum.
                  It sounds like you are going for it.
                  You'll probably be OK.
                  And if not, the bright side is, YOU'LL GET TO MEET DARWIN.
                  ~0le
                  HAHAHA.......... Still aint sure. Make a nice tool box or something though. Waiting to hear what the chemical inside it was.

Comment

Working...
                  X