Oven stopped heating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven stopped heating

The stove stopped heating in the oven. Tis an electric Kenmore.

Any pointers?

I was thinking that I should tear it apart and check for continuity in the heating element.

The broiler still heats....which may or may not matter, 'cuz if there are relays and other gizmos involved, I am assuming that each circuit would be totally separate (or enough separate that it wouldn't matter).

I'm sorry but what does Kenmore oven have to do with welding.... You probably shoudl be asking on home appliance site or maybe "repair Clinic" site...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Look along the heating element for any bad looking places. May just need a new element. Be sure to turn off power coming to stove if you change it.
      Miller Challenger 172
      Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
      Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

Yes, a common thing to check is the resistance of the element. Make sure you disconnect the element from its power leads first, after disconnecting the oven from power.

But, yeah, Dale isn't crazy. This is a welding forum. But electric ovens are simple enough that a few of us know enough to get in trouble. You can google your stove model number and find the elements you need (as well as the correct resistance value) from several sources, including Repair Clinic and Amazon.

If you know what you are doing, you can first test that power is getting to the element, but this requires the oven to be powered during diagnostics. A faulty element is more likely than a faulty control, in my limited experience.

Comment

Well,,,the obvious response is....electricity.

Weldors are famous for using welders to fix everything, except for broken hearts and the crack of dawn.

Many weldors have fixed their welder and know what makes them tick.

Now, another obvious thing, this welding forum has divisions on it for cars, truck, auto-restoration, rockcrawlers, country living, FFA, and this one, "Home Hobbyist" So, it ain't just a welding forum.

A home hobbyist, by definition, is called to fix everything, plumbing, electricity, bathrooms, lawns, you name it. You'll note, that I got 2 responses w/good advice.

The reason that I didn't post on an electric appliance site is that I am not a member of those sites, but I am a member of a site where technical & analytical minds meet (this one). I am a member of to many sites now, therefore, the question got asked here.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinky1 View Post
            Well,,,the obvious response is....electricity.

Weldors are famous for using welders to fix everything, except for broken hearts and the crack of dawn.

Many weldors have fixed their welder and know what makes them tick.

Now, another obvious thing, this welding forum has divisions on it for cars, truck, auto-restoration, rockcrawlers, country living, FFA, and this one, "Home Hobbyist" So, it ain't just a welding forum.

A home hobbyist, by definition, is called to fix everything, plumbing, electricity, bathrooms, lawns, you name it. You'll note, that I got 2 responses w/good advice.

The reason that I didn't post on an electric appliance site is that I am not a member of those sites, but I am a member of a site where technical & analytical minds meet (this one). I am a member of to many sites now, therefore, the question got asked here.
            However, the main heading above everything you quoted is "WELDING Projects and Conversations By Community". While most of us know how a toilet works, please call on a plumber's forum next time yours stops up.
            Last edited by Northweldor; 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I've been here so long, I forgot Hobart added 86 new categories, "new" being like twelve years ago. We used to have three, and they all started with the word "Welding."

Comment

If the oven heating element and the broiler heating element are the same, try swapping them. You have two options: If the failure follows the heating element, then it's the element. If the failure stays with the oven, then it is the control.
                "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

Now now guys....you're being a little harsh here.....

After all, how is a man supposed to dry out wet 6013 when there are old bed frames to weld?

Or bake on high-temp paint for tractor exhaust manifolds ?
                  Last edited by canoecruiser; 01-16-2018, 10:10 AM.
                  CanoeCruiser
                  Harris dual-stage O/A
                  Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                  Hobart IronMan 210
                  Lincoln PowerMig 135
                  Miller 3035 spoolgun
                  Thermal Arc 185
                  Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                  Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                  Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

The stove stopped heating in the oven.- Common occurrence I have had several do the same. A new element can be purchased for ~$18.00 on line. remove two screws, pull the old element and replace with new. Return screws. Make sure you disconnect the oven. 220v @ 50 amps bites pretty hard.

Comment

I pulled both elements.

The broiler (which works), reads 15-16 ohms. The oven reads 14 ohms....when you swap them, it still doesn't work.

Sooooo, I have other problems. The control panel is all digital push button...that is one of my suspects.

But, I am gonna pull the back of the stove off today.

Comment

http://www.appliance411.com/

go here sign up for the forums and post in the appropriate area. These guys have helped me solve all kinds of waster, dryer dishwasher stove repairs since the mid 90,s. In the end you will wish you could buy these guys a beer believe me. The guys that respond are actual technicians and yes they are VERY GOOD.

Comment

Working...
                        X