BBQ help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ help

im going to be building a BBQ and was wondering how i should go about this. stainless steel is what im thinking. it needs to be as cheap as possible. let me know what you guys think

If it needs to be "as cheap as possible" then stainless steel is definitely not the way to go.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

find an old oil drum, cut in half, frame inside edges with 1" angle, hinge it and slap it on a trailer.
      sigpic
      Miller trailblazer 301G
      Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
      K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
      Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
      Hobart HH187
      Harris DLX STLWKR
      O/A & chemolene
      WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

id like to keep it cheap and its gonna be for pig roasts and big events so id like some of it to be stainless. mainly the tray though. just want to know your ideas on how to go about something like this

Comment

what did you paint that BBQ with?

Comment

Engne heat paint from a spray can at autozone. $50.00 just in paint. I am going to repaint this spring.

Take care of them and they will last a long time.... If you are wanting to save bucks I would stay away from ss and keep with carbon. You can buy the ss expanded metal grating for the grill at higher price. They dont need as much maintenance as the carbon. Mine is carbon and I dont have any problems. just wash it off after use and brush it with some crisco.
            sigpic
            Miller trailblazer 301G
            Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
            K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
            Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
            Hobart HH187
            Harris DLX STLWKR
            O/A & chemolene
            WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

alright so i should just get a carbon drum, ill probably go pick up an oil tank and cut it in half and ill probably make a trailer too out of some square tubing. thanks for the help

Comment

Mine are all plain oll mild steel. For the most part if I keep the rain water out I have no problems unless its a long time between cooks. It helps alot to have a grease drain big enough to let the nasty stuff after a big cook. A good fire and a spritz of water goes along ways when it turns to steam, then a little cooking oil in a spray bottle all over the inside after it cools a bit.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Good Luck on your build. Don't forget to keep us up to date.
                Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
                MM211 AS and Spool-Mate 100.
                Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
                Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
                4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
                Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
                Jackson Passive Shade #5 for the plasma.
                I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.
                Speedglas 9100x

Projects and Misc Albums
                http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

BBQ help

camdendoughty,

You may want to look here..... Lots of good info.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...59afc78831a80b

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=86

Have a great weekend,

Jerel
                  Last edited by Jerel; 02-19-2010, 09:30 PM.

Comment

SS expanded metal

Originally posted by camdendoughty View Post
                    what did you paint that BBQ with?
                    I've used the SS expanded metal in a smoker for racks and I've had trouble with it "torking" some when the box heats up...by torking I mean it warps a little and goes back to shape when cooled. I pefer regular cold steel for that reason. If you use SS be sure that you put is extra cross pieces and support to keep it flat.

Comment

Originally posted by boykjo View Post
                      Engne heat paint from a spray can at autozone. $50.00 just in paint. I am going to repaint this spring.

Take care of them and they will last a long time.... If you are wanting to save bucks I would stay away from ss and keep with carbon. You can buy the ss expanded metal grating for the grill at higher price. They dont need as much maintenance as the carbon. Mine is carbon and I dont have any problems. just wash it off after use and brush it with some crisco.
                      So if you use carbon. how do you get rid of all the oil and crap on it for being able to use it to cook on?

Comment

Originally posted by nallbright View Post
                        So if you use carbon. how do you get rid of all the oil and crap on it for being able to use it to cook on?
                        Just test fire your grill and add apply a couple coats of pam, crisco, vegetable oil or something else to your cooking grid after it has burned off any unwanted residue.
                        ECAVE Still learnin'

Lincoln AC225
                        Lincoln 135SP
                        HF Chopsaw
                        Victor O/A
                        Numerous other items

Comment

I think Stainless steel is not the material if you want to create a cheap BBQ Grill.

Comment

Working...
                          X