My Welding Cart Entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Welding Cart Entry

Hello All! Here's my contribution to the welding cart database, hope someone else finds it useful!

After rummaging around the archives for a while, the latest 2009 Miller catalog provided me some inspiriation:

So for $15 Craigslist supplies the dolly, normally about $50 at Harbor Freight:

Cut off the superfluous parts, all the rest came from the scrap pile:

Painted:

All done ! (Lincoln SP135+, 172 cuft C25, 83 cuft Ar):

Thanks! Jeff
    LINCOLN IdealArc Tig 300/300
    MILLER Millermatic 211 Mig
    NAPA Buzz Box
    HARRIS Oxy-Acetylene Torch Set
    MILLER-JACKSON (hybrid) and Harbor Freight AD Helmets
    Harbor Freight Tig, Plasma & Spot
    LINCOLN SP135+ Mig (Sold)

Nice work. Looks easy to go off-road with it. How's she handle?
    Last edited by smyrna5; 02-21-2009, 02:19 PM.
    Lincoln 175HD
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Smith AW1, Dillon (Henrob) Mark III & Smith Quickbraze Little Torch

Comment

Nice cart Jeff. You might want to dig up a short section of pipe a bit larger in diameter than your tank and weld it down there on the base to keep your bottle from wobbling off the cart.
      Miller 251, Lincoln PrecisionTig 275, Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC, Hypertherm 900, Bridgeport J-head, Jet 14" lathe, South Bend 9" lathe, Hossfeld bender with a collection of dies driving me to the poorhouse, Logan shaper, Ellis 3000 bandsaw, Royersford drill press and a Victor Journeyman O/A.

Comment

Good idea space saving, and you can take it off road, all you need now is a caddy to help
        Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
        Dewalt chop saw

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys!

The cart handles great, it's well balanced when fully on it's wheels, even though there's quite a bit of weight. Upright it's extremely stable, I would have to crash my truck into it to tip it over.

When I picked up the dolly originally, the seller had two to pick from, one had solid tires, the other inflated. For now I'm glad I went with the pneumatics, as it rolls over everything so smooth. We'll see though how long they last.

During the build I pondered options to secure the tank bottoms. The tanks are strapped very tightly against the center post, you really have to work hard to budge them. As suggested, I thought of welding on a lip, but I really didn't want to lift that large 173cf tank over it. I'll probably fab a hoop of some sort which will bolt onto the wheel fenders.

And as noted, one of my favorite features is it's very compact, it takes just a hair more floor space than the dolly by itself!

Jeff
          LINCOLN IdealArc Tig 300/300
          MILLER Millermatic 211 Mig
          NAPA Buzz Box
          HARRIS Oxy-Acetylene Torch Set
          MILLER-JACKSON (hybrid) and Harbor Freight AD Helmets
          Harbor Freight Tig, Plasma & Spot
          LINCOLN SP135+ Mig (Sold)

Comment

Working...
          X