Project Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Cart

well this is the start of my cart. ive put it together with half a bedframe so far. i will be getting some steel and another junk frame or 2. soon so tell me what you guys think

for a first time ever wire welding project i will say the welds do need work

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/DSCN0034.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/DSCN0033.jpg

Can't tell much from your photos but what I do see It looks like you need to clean the metal off prior to trying to weld it, grind or wire wheel it to where you have a shiny metal to weld on you will get much better results, also have a good clean ground where you are actually contacting shiney metal. On your photos take some with your camera set at micros on your weld area so we can see your welds.

Post what your welding settings are at and what type of wire and speed you are working at would help some. You might practice some on some scrap pieces until you can lay a good bead making sure you have your settings are set right before attempting to weld up the joint for your cart.

Comment

I would add bolts as bed frames will crack due to the type of metal used to make them.... I'd hate for you to load it up with tools etc and it fall apart
      George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
      If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
      Thomas Paine
      Fear is temporary, regret is forever
      HH210 w S.G.
      Victor/Uniweld O/P
      Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

well man come to think of it i will get some stronger stuff. this will just be something for me to learn with. i will build one when i can get some stronger material

after all though that is an older bed frame its not like the newer week ones. its made out of stout angle iron. it wasnt all that light its not aluminium like the one that my matress sets on now.
        Last edited by CD82; 02-16-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Mike means that the decent bed frame material typically has a medium to high carbon content, perhaps .6 percent.
          --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
          -------------------------

Comment

CD82...I've made many things from bed frames, so they are not necessarily unusable. they are "junk steel", just like today's coat hangers...that is, they are made from anything and everything that gets thrown in the pot at the foundry, so one might be like 'this', the next like 'that'. I doubt that you'll have any real problems if your welds come out OK...you may find getting the weld puddle to behave is tricky...but that's part of your learning curve.

To test (and I know this sounds ridiculous), when you are all finished, push it over and let it smack down on the concrete floor, the, stand it up and push it over the other way. This is variation of the 'drop test" that often causes poor welds to pop apart. If it survives that test, and careful (with a flashlight and magnifying glass, even) examination for cracked welds reveals none, you should be good to go for paint!
            "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

ok thanks for the tips well i did drop it on our slab outback. and it did not come apart so i guess something is right. i have not checked for cracked welds but i will with your suggestion. now i got the wants this stuff is very addecting. i want a torch or a plasma cutter hehehe that 800$ plasma cutter. at tractorsupply looks tempting to buy hehehe. or that victor torch now all i want to do is weld things lol.

i cought my self today looking and glancing at other welds an such. hoping to get mine that good some day.

Comment

CD82, you are doing the correct thing by asking questions and showing what you are doing. It really doesn't take very long to be able to run pretty decent beads on stuff like what you have there. What welder are you using? Also, look at a torch prior to a plasma cutter. Both have good uses, but to me a torch is more versitile in the shop than the plasma cutter. In the end, you will own both.
                Jim

Miller MM 210
                Miller Dialarc 250P
                Airco 225 engine driven
                Victor O/A
                Lots of other tools and always wanting more

Comment

Originally posted by CD82 View Post
                  ok thanks for the tips well i did drop it on our slab outback. and it did not come apart so i guess something is right. i have not checked for cracked welds but i will with your suggestion. now i got the wants this stuff is very addecting. i want a torch or a plasma cutter hehehe that 800$ plasma cutter. at tractorsupply looks tempting to buy hehehe. or that victor torch now all i want to do is weld things lol.

i cought my self today looking and glancing at other welds an such. hoping to get mine that good some day.
                  oh no now your addicted welcome to the like of spend more money on welding then anything else
                  Dylan

Comment

ive got a hobart 140 wire fed welder Jim-Tx

Comment

Working...
                    X