Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need more room in your garage? Try this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more room in your garage? Try this....

Ever get tired of looking at those garage doors and thinking "krap that's a whole wall of wasted space"....well it only took me 3 years to finally think how I could use my two 9'x7' doors for something other than a wall...I was putting up plywood in my garage and needed a place to put the extension cords and bungee cords.The parts are 3"x5" tear drops cut out of plywood, the 1.25 dowel rod is oak and mine are 2.5" but can be cut longer or shorter...the long pcs. of wood are ripped down from a reg. 1"x4" 1.25" wide. The length is probably different from door to door. The grooves in the end I resawed on the bandsaw to fit comfortly into the panels of the door. This process took a while to keep test fitting...the holes are drilled for 1/4" and countersunk with a 5/8" forstner bit on the side that meets with the door.The bolts I used are 4" and the nutz can be nylon lock nutz or just double nutted. This seems to work fine as long as you wind your cords up around your shoulder so it will fit around the teardrops when they are turned inward. You can screw these to the door if you like or leave them loose so u can slide. The screws are self tappn 3/4", chose them so I didn't have to predrill the wood...These work great, just don't let anything hang down and get caught on your luggage rack on vehicle
    Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
    Dewalt chop saw

~~~~More pics~~~~

Here are smore pics of the bungee cord holders, same design only with holes drilled every inch for bungees to hook into...These I had to [screw] to the door because of the elasticity. I just had to share this because there has to be a lot of people out there with the need for more space in their garage. I hope this helps, and let me know if anyone thinks of anything else lightweight that can hang off a garage door...
    Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
    Dewalt chop saw

Comment

That's a great idea! Of course, you know, most of us have no use for additional storage space, right? Just kidding! Keep the ideas like this one coming.

Dave
      Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
      http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
      http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
      MM180
      SP125+

Comment

If I had that many bungee cords, I could strap my lathe to the garage door

Actually that is a great idea, especially for relatively light items you might need to grab when going out the door, like cords. I should make a rack for the small diameter PVC tubing we use for various projects... hmmm.
        --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
        -------------------------

Comment

Promoting wooden fixtures on a welding forum?!

Comment

I knew someone would mention thatI forgot to say in the thread that this design could be modified to use metal, prob aluminum would be best.I know a wood shop and metal shop don't mix well together, that's why in another of my threads I have the caster set on my welding table so I can back the vehicles out and roll the weld table to that end of the shop away from combustibles I am in process of putting up OSB plywood right now to make it less flammable than styrofoam when sparks are flyin'...also thinking of adding on to garage from 24x30 to 24x40 so I will have 20' metal shop 20' wood shop with wall between...need money
            Dewalt chop saw

Comment

Are you planning on doing the garage expansion yourself?

Comment

Yeah I built the garage from a kit. I figure if I add 10' on I will only need 2 poles girters 2x4's purlins, one truss, the metal and concrete will kill me...last time I checkd concrete was about 100 yd and metal was sky high
                Dewalt chop saw

Comment

OK. Good luck with your project!

Comment

Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get. I thought I would have the Grizzly paid off with taxz but mistaken For some reason I keep thinking we get bunch of money back for taxesgot almost another year of being broke... but thanks to this forum maybe I can get my lazy arse out there and make some stuff to sell USMCPOP I'd like to see some pics of those racks...if you decide to make them..
                    Dewalt chop saw

Comment

Working...
                    X