Welding table caster set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding table caster set

Here is the caster set I made for my welding table. I got the idea from my table saw. This is my 2nd project, the 1st of course, the welding cart made from an old pedestal grill and slotted angle. The casters 4 the welding table came from some shppn carts my neighbor inhertd from some kids. He was glad to git rid. THe front of the shoppn cart where the toddlers like to ride, I used for my foot control. All I had to do was heat it and bend it to the shape I needed.I used one inch square tubing for the other side. The whole thing works on leverage lifting all four corners at once. It could probably lift a car. I love this design and it is very fast because of the one foot operation.Please let my know what you all think and if anyone needs anymore info let me know...
    Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
    Dewalt chop saw

Very cool! How does the latch release?

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
    MM180
    SP125+

Comment

caster set

It works like a gate latch. Instead of swinging a gate shut you push down with your foot and it latches onto a square u-bolt. To open it you push the top of the latch with your toes and it lets go and the weight of the table makes it release. I'll try to post more pics when I get time, gotta go to the in-laws tonight. I'm also going to post some pics of everything else in my shop that I have on UHMW sliders, when I get time...
      Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
      Dewalt chop saw

Comment

pics of weld table casters and uhmw sliders

Here is some more pics. The latch like I said is like a gate latch. I made it by bending a pc of thin steel and cutting out v part with die grinder with cut off wheel. The other catch I also made out of the same steel. The rivet I had cut off something else, so I decided to use it by heating with torch and beat with hammer to smash head . Funny thing is, half way thru I quit and had to go to bed, next day after work I went to hardware store to buy u-bolt and seen a gate latch for 3.50. I decided making it was more fun. The spring came from a seat out of a ford ranger. As you can see the four attachment points are secured loosely with 1/4" bolts. THis allows for movement and also means that it does not have to be perfect...I didnt have to adjust this at all I got it as close as possible and it works great!!! As for the plastic sliders, they kinda work like furniture sliders. They are made from uhmw polypropelene low friction plastic. IT can be worked like wood...Cut, drilled, or shaped . it slides on concrete but keeps your powertools and stuff stationary enough to be used like normal.Since it is low friction It does not wear out. I had these on this table before I made the caster set. The pics show my band saw and sand blaster have wooden bases with uhmw pieces screwed to them. Uhmw can be purchased from ebay I believe.
        Dewalt chop saw

Comment

oops

oops I missed some pics of my radial arm saw/miter saw stand, and a piece of uhmw
          Last edited by Eugenius76; 12-18-2008, 11:28 PM.
          Dewalt chop saw

Comment

Cool. I wasn't sure if you had to bend down to release it. I suppose you could extend the arm that the spring attaches to so then you'd just kick the top and it'd release, but it looks like it works fine the way it is.

I use UHWM for a lot of things. The biggest pain is controlling it when you do work it. It can be a challenge to grip a big piece as you run it through a table saw. And like wood, if it gets a little co.ck-eyed, it'll catch and go shooting across the room at warp-speed.

Dave
            Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
            http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
            http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
            MM180
            SP125+

Comment

Working...
            X