3/8" with a HH 187

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/8" with a HH 187

Ok, it's only round stock. Figured I'd get someones attention with my title though.

Anyway, here's a little project my wife and I spent the evening work on.

When completed it will mount over the stall door opening of her #2 horse.

For last years Christmas present, for his Mom, I helped my Son make one of these ( my boy did most of the work including the welding) for her #1 horse.
    Last edited by Dan; 08-10-2008, 06:40 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Should be able to weld an inch thick stuff,[if you know how],with that machine,so......thingy

Comment

Very Nice! If you want to go to "Final Finish", weld it up on the back, flap smooth, then use a Rat Tail File with the radius you are looking for, to finish off all the welds on the front. A good file will do it quick and slick!
      "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hey man- lol. Dan, that's beautiful. Nice, nice, nice!
        MM180
        www.desert4wd.com

Comment

Nice work...Bob
          Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
          Metal Master Fab
          Salem, Ohio
          Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
          http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
            Very Nice! If you want to go to "Final Finish", weld it up on the back, flap smooth, then use a Rat Tail File with the radius you are looking for, to finish off all the welds on the front. A good file will do it quick and slick!
            Considering its going to be installed in a barn over her horse's stall door the wife said to just leave the welds.

I still need to add a couple short lengths of angle with a thru hole for mounting. The temp has been in the mid 90's the last couple of day, so I'll just wait until next weekend. The wife has a color code for her horses. All of Chance's gear is purple and black. Luckily the wife just wants this purple.

Once installed, I suspect the spiders are going to really like this.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

I guess I need to point out that I placed the 3/8" in my title meaning for it to be humorous, since I made the letters from 3/8" cold rolled solid round stock.

BTW, to produce a strong enough weld for the application, I only had to use V tap #4.

If I had to use my HH 187 for 3/8" that was going to see some stress, I'd have the unit set up with a roll of .045 Hobart Fabshield 21B. Considering I have a Maxstar 150 STH too, I'd probably just use it in stick mode instead.

For 1" thick material if I can get to my work shed it would probably be either spray arc or a gas shielded fluxcore with my Migmaster 250. Away from the work shed I'd go with either my 250 amp AC/DC buzz box or the Maxstar 150.
              Last edited by Dan; 08-16-2008, 09:57 PM.

PM 180C

Comment

Originally posted by laserlover
                hey, man. may i ask you a question about your topic?Can you PM your email to me? Thx.
                Just click on my user name, and it should give you the option to send an E mail to me.
                Last edited by Dan; 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM.

PM 180C

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  Nice work...Bob
                  I have to admit I was very surprised that I got the C's to turn out the same height as the other letters on the first try. My original plan was just to make the C out of two U shaped pieces. Remove the unwanted section of the U. Then weld the two halves together. However, the wife shot that idea down, because she wanted them made from one piece.

PM 180C

Comment

C's are SweeT !!

I can't seem to muster the Patience for bending-aparati'i.
                    But I certainly recognize skilled bending when I see it.

vg
                    sigpicViceGrip
                    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Dan, I like the art of you and your sons work as viewed on the pic you posted. All the letters have to do is stay on the roundy part which is not a problem. Rest of you guys fight somewhere else and be ashamed of yourselves.
                      Last edited by Mr Meck; 08-16-2008, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X