How do I drill bed-frames?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmersamm View Post

Only real success I've had when step drilling, is when I make the first hole just about the size of the "dead" zone on the finish size bit. Take out too much of the material, and like you say...………...it'll kill your bits, and make life a bit complicated. Anything over about 1/2" gets an annular cutter (if feasible). Less runout, and better finish IMHO. Although...……..the quill on my little baby mill isn't all that tight, so I will get a bit of wobble, even with an annular.
    You got it, Sam. The "dead zone" on a conventional twist drill is a very negative angle. As you proceed outward, the lip angle gets more and more acute (positive rake angle). So if you drill a small pilot the size of the web of the larger drill, less force is required but you still the whole width of the lip to prevent excessive hogging-in. If you have to enlarge a hole just a small amount, you can "dub" the lips near the outer portion of the drill to reduce the cutting angle a bit. This is often done for soft materials like brass and copper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dub drill bit.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	708574
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

Get some of those stepped bits from Harbor Freight. Bit has a Christmas tree shape. The bits come in good, better, and best. For metal less than 1/4 inch they work great.
      https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...lls-91616.html
      Last edited by birdshot; 03-22-2020, 05:48 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Burn any needed holes in the bed frame with your oxyacetylene outfit.
        Or cut the hole in the bed frame with your plasma cutter.
        ~0le
        "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

Working...
        X