Welding a control arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding a control arm

I want to change the front end geometry on my stock car. I want to know if I cut the control arm and weld it so the ball joint is in a different location, an inch or two back will it be strong enough to stand up to the beating a dirt car is subjected to or will the weld break. This is definitely a safety issue so if I do it I want to be sure to get it right. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Stock Car View Post
    I want to change the front end geometry on my stock car. I want to know if I cut the control arm and weld it so the ball joint is in a different location, an inch or two back will it be strong enough to stand up to the beating a dirt car is subjected to or will the weld break. This is definitely a safety issue so if I do it I want to be sure to get it right. Thanks in advance.
    If you have to ask this question, you are definitely not qualified to do the job.You will be endangering the lives of all others on the track with you, and I can't understand why any reputable racing authority would allow this sort of modification on the track.

The original control arm was engineered and tested with a generous safety factor by a responsible manufacturer. The same thing needs to be done with any modification such as you are proposing. There are shops and engineers who do this sort of thing, and it is not something done in a backyard environment. Take it to them in spite of the expense, and avoid endangering others.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	37FordRacer.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	706161Click image for larger version

Name:	37FordRacer2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	706162Click image for larger version

Name:	AAlI55X.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	706163Click image for larger version

Name:	old drag (11).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	706164Click image for larger version

Name:	old drag (9).jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	706165
      I'm only agreeing with the comment, "
      If you have to ask this question, you are definitely not qualified to do the job." , somewhat.

Anyone who knows racing knows it's history of modifying stuff and not all of it was engineered. Most of it is done was done by the inexperienced, lacking the best equipment or understanding of what works and how. But they did it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post

Name:	37FordRacer.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	706161Click image for larger version

Name:	37FordRacer2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	706162Click image for larger version

Name:	AAlI55X.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	706163Click image for larger version

Name:	old drag (11).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	706164Click image for larger version

Name:	old drag (9).jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	706165
        I'm only agreeing with the comment, "
        If you have to ask this question, you are definitely not qualified to do the job." , somewhat.

Anyone who knows racing knows it's history of modifying stuff and not all of it was engineered. Most of it is done was done by the inexperienced, lacking the best equipment or understanding of what works and how. But they did it anyways.
        Lots of old scary stuff done is old days, that is why we have race organisations and safety standards, to keep people from repeating same mistakes.....

Dale
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Name:	_MG_3265-vi.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	706190Click image for larger version

Name:	45105796_10156871077881031_1876488726499033088_n.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	706191Click image for larger version

Name:	1094682_617437811622504_418868023_o (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	706192Click image for larger version

Name:	yafuvbqirylawcj4gh6w.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	706193Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0128.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	706194I say weld it. Beats the heck out of glue, screws, nail, tape or tie wire. If it breaks, you did it wrong. Figure out why that was and do it again only better.
          Welding is a fit for purpose application joining two pieces together. Most control arms are a stamped punched and pressed mild steel. What's the problem other then the mans ability, the equipment available and his fear of doing?

Comment

My suggestion would be to take it to a professional shop that has experience in the proceedure and have them do it for you.
            A few of my toys !!!

MX Linux
            LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
            Lincoln Weldpak 100
            Gianttech Arc 200
            Victor O/A

Comment

Working...
            X