Spring Seats on a Dana35 Axle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Seats on a Dana35 Axle

Does anyone have any experience welding a seat of spring seats for coil springs onto a 1/4" thick axle tube using a Hobart Handler 140? I want to be sure I get enough penetration but not sure if the welder has enough power. What would the setup be if the welder can do it.

This is a VERY CRITICAL joint. Not being SURE of you and your machine means PLEASE do not attempt it.

That said, an expert that knows how to properly prepare the joint, set the machine, choose the filler, and SEE the penetration as it happens, can do the job with that machine if he absolutely had to. And he still wouldn't!

Dana 35 means there is a likelihood that this is for off-road usage, too, which is that much more stress on such a critical weld.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
      This is a VERY CRITICAL joint. Not being SURE of you and your machine means PLEASE do not attempt it.

That said, an expert that knows how to properly prepare the joint, set the machine, choose the filler, and SEE the penetration as it happens, can do the job with that machine if he absolutely had to. And he still wouldn't!

Dana 35 means there is a likelihood that this is for off-road usage, too, which is that much more stress on such a critical weld.
      Thanks for the response. I'll be looking for a pro to weld the seats on.

Comment

Old thread, but D35's are junk.

If it were me, I'd pull the axle shafts out of it to sell on craigslist and take the housing to the scrapyard. The D35 is not a very strong housing, the shafts are weak, and it's definitely not worth swapping into a vehicle. If you're going to the trouble of welding new spring/shock mounts on, why not start with an axle housing that's worth the effort? The Ford 8.8" is very easy to find, many are even equipped with disc brakes, and if you know how to read the tags you might find the gear ratio you need. It's a substantially better choice and you'll find lots of aftermarket support.

Comment

Working...
        X