Starter repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter repair

Customer brought me this starter with a stuck Bendix. As you can see, it had failed before and was repaired by welding the broken piece back in place. That left the bore for the rear bushing was twisted off center, so it was welded partially closed and re-machined.

Click image for larger version

Name:	starter_105053-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	667659

Name:	starter_housing_115816-1.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	667660

I have to mention, this is a Lucas (Prince of Darkness) starter from a 1930 Vauxhall, and the construction is a little different that anything I've seen before . . . and the reason for the initial failure. The rear end of the armature shaft is threaded and the mating sleeve is the bearing surface for the rear bushing, and the collar that stops the pinion from traveling too far. As I received it, the O.D. of the sleeve was small enough that the pinion could get stuck on it. I made a new sleeve from 4140HT and increased the shoulder diameter to prevent it from happening again. Of course, the threads were not anything standard . . . 1/2-26 left hand . . . look that one up in your Machinery's Handbook . . . and had to be chased.

Name:	starter_105256-1.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	667661

Name:	starter_125149-1.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	667662

I machined the new housing from a piece of 7 inch O.D. x 7 inch long piece of 6061-T651 aluminum, then bead blasted it and shined it up with a piece of steel wool in an attempt to mask the fresh machine work. The lathe work was done on an old 14 inch Sheldon engine lathe, and the bolt patterns and ears machined on a small CNC mill. The blank weighed 27 lbs and finished at 3-1/2. Customer loved the part, but not the bill

Name:	starter_155515-1.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	667663
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7 , AW1A
    Smith He/Ar gas mixer

I find your stuff extremely impressing and refreshing.
    My work for several years has been quite challenging
    from a skill and experience point of perspective.
    BUT
    Even more challenging dealing with the humanity along the path.
    You give me a chance to take a welcome detour.
    THANKS..... kinda jealous actually but a good kind of jealous...

Phil
    sigpicViceGrip
    Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

PM sent

PM sent .... some machining to peek at.
      sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Starter repair

26 TPI probably british cycle thread 60deg V wouldn.t find a dienut for that in a hurry especially left hand.

Comment

If it gets to the point I can't climb up on a Bar (horizontal boring bar)
          every day due to aging skellatin, I'm gonna pitch a tent in front of his shop,
          . . . and camp there till he offers me a job!
          sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
            If it gets to the point I can't climb up on a Bar (horizontal boring bar)
            every day due to aging skellatin, I'm gonna pitch a tent in front of his shop,
            . . . and camp there till he offers me a job!
            Thanks for the compliment.

-jim
            Dynasty 300DX
            MM350P
            Hobart Handler 120
            Smith LW7 , AW1A
            Smith He/Ar gas mixer

Comment

That is pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by 4sfed View Post
                Thanks for the compliment.

-jim
                I dout most of these fellows have combed your site and seen your work like I have.
                I've done plenty of reverse engineering, mods, and imprUvements.

I recogniZe a Master when I see what he can Do!
                sigpicViceGrip

Comment

I dout most of these fellows have combed your site and seen your work
                  What site?

Comment

Mike , Mike , Mike , you do know how to click a profile No?

Then click his Home Page . . .
                    But from memory, I think he may have sent me other cool stuff to view,
                    a few years back when I offered to clear up a few things
                    about his then newly aquired anvil.
                    And I probably sent my show-&-tell scrap-book to him.
                    sigpicViceGrip

Comment

I am ashamed. Whatever will you guys do with me?

I always go to the members profile to look for stuff. I did not even notice that option listed.

Not that I would even need to go as I could not make that part.

Comment

Not much welding on this one, but a little newer vehicle . . . 1932 Alfa Romeo. This is an inline six with a crank-driven supercharger. It's supposed to have two anti-backfire valves . . . one near the supercharger (circled in red) and one on the intake manifold. The manifold-mounted valve was missing when the customer bought it at auction.

I made the parts, then made an attempt to antique them so the assembly would look more like the original. My vent holes were drilled with the aid of a rotary table. 'Just couldn't bring myself to drill them as randomly as the original.

Name:	engine269.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	665847

Name:	anti-backfire_valve_parts357.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	665848

Name:	anti-backfire_valve_asm845.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	665849
                        Dynasty 300DX
                        MM350P
                        Hobart Handler 120
                        Smith LW7 , AW1A
                        Smith He/Ar gas mixer

Comment

Originally posted by 4sfed View Post
                          My vent holes were drilled with the aid of a rotary table. 'Just couldn't bring myself to drill them as randomly as the original.
                          See Guys ! Look at this stuff !
                          Can't think of anything much that looks worse than a pattern
                          of random drilled holes. It just grabs the eye and assaults it.

===========

A friend and I got a 3/4 ton '46' International Pick~up truck going
                          before we even had permanent driver's licences.

The starter-switch unit on the floor was toast. All seized up.
                          Found another from a milk~truck in a bone yard. Also seized but not as bad a shape.
                          Worried and threatened it every way from Sunday
                          useing Kroil, elbo grease and gentle pursuation, till I got it freed up.
                          Made a copper duplicate of the contact pad~ring thing by hand with files.

Here's the question! It was a flat-head str8 six.
                          I swear there was no perceptible vibration ! ! !

We put our Dog-N-Subs root-beers on the head and it didn't even
                          make ring-waves in the cups. I put a nickle on the head and moved it
                          from behind the barn out to the gate and the nickle was still there.

Why?
                          Last edited by vicegrip; 05-30-2014, 02:33 AM.
                          sigpicViceGrip

Comment

===========

A friend and I got a 3/4 ton '46' International Pick~up truck going
                            before we even had permanent driver's licences.

Here's the question! It was a flat-head str8 six.
                            I swear there was no perceptible vibration ! ! !

We put our Dog-N-Subs root-beers on the head and it didn't even
                            make ring-waves in the cups. I put a nickle on the head and moved it
                            from behind the barn out to the gate and the nickle was still there.

Why?
                            This explains it much better than I can . . . it's been too long since studying/using the mathematics involved . . .
                            http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance#Inherent_balance

Scroll down about half way and read the explanation of "primary" and "secondary" balance. Then about 3/4 of the way down is a description of how that applies to an inline six. Depending on the rod ratio . . . length of the rod vs stroke . . . the secondary imbalance of a cylinder is almost completely cancelled by the others.

Also helping the situation, the low compression ratio would apply the torsional pulses from the compression and power strokes to the crank gently . . . and the thick-walled castings (heavy) would absorb minor forces without noticeable movement.
                            Dynasty 300DX
                            MM350P
                            Hobart Handler 120
                            Smith LW7 , AW1A
                            Smith He/Ar gas mixer

Comment

Wow, what a read?

I made an engine fit in a Frankensteined Ford van in my early twentys.
                              I wondered then if there was good science for the welded drive shaft
                              I made from two vehicals. To think I hose clamped weights on it
                              and drove around on the freeway till it felt fine. Tag~welded on the weights
                              and ground off a proportionate amount to counter the weld weight. . .
                              and was happy.

How bloody crude, now that I read all that.
                              Even the farmer who owned the International had a fair hypothisis
                              as to why the engine in the International was so calm.
                              Good thing I'm "non-sinusoidal"

Thanks! Muchly!

PS:
                              I picked up a timing belt kit for the 99 Accord I bought when my LaSabre died.
                              I noticed two belts in the kit, researched it, and learned my engine has a counter shaft.
                              Or couter-ballance shaft in it. I think a first for me ??
                              Fiat didn't?
                              Tercel didn't?
                              84 Accord didn't?
                              86 Accord didn't?
                              Last edited by vicegrip; 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM.
                              sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Working...
                              X