my trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my trailer

lil 5 x 10 trailer I am working on. I want to go over some of the welds with my new MM 251. then screw down the boards and wire it and call it done!
    Art is dangerous!
    www.PiedmontIronworks.com

With all the stuff in there, I take it you already have the boards back in.

From what I can see the trailer looks good. Did you build it or is it a trailer you picked up and want to redo or strengthen the existing welds?
    Snidley :}
    Here in the Great White North
    Mosquitoes can't fly at 40 below

Comment

the boards are in but I need to screw them down. I made the trailer myself. I welded it up with a campbell hausfeld 105 mig with flux core. I want to go over some of the welds with my new MM 251 so it does not fall apart while I am driving down the road.
      Art is dangerous!

Comment

Are you going to use self tapping screws?

What kind of decking? Also how dry are the boards? Unless you are goin to use kiln dried or a tongue and groove board, as they dry they will shrink slightly and can leave gaps between which may or may not matter depending on the look and function you want. Do you want to finish (stain & or varathane) the deck?

Really trying not to be a pain in the b***. just curious.
        Snidley :}
        Here in the Great White North
        Mosquitoes can't fly at 40 below

Comment

I used pressure treated wood. I got some screws from my neighbor who works at Utility semi truck trailers. He said they are self taping but you have to drill a starter hole first. The screws are star headed so I need a star bit. I think the place that I bought my parts from just welded 1" flat piece over the ends. I need to go back there and see exactly how they did it.
          Art is dangerous!

Comment

sounds a lot better than drilling a bunch of holes too.
            Art is dangerous!

Comment

Your lumber shrinkage and expansion will be mainly on the width. If you use nominal 2x8 material ( 1-1/2 x 7-1/4 ) the amount of movement will of course be readily visible on the width. Most likely your pressure treated lumber will end up with gaps between the boards. I have never put any down that did not shrink in width. Lengthwise lumber for all practical purposes does not shrink and cutting the boards full length should not be a problem. If your pressure treated lumber is heavy it will shrink quite a bit because it is very wet and has not reached emc yet.
              bitternut

Comment

The old wood pickup beds had metal strips covering gaps between board sides. The metal strips took most of the wear as edges were rolled so they were proud 1/8".

Comment

Working...
                X