Rocky D's chord chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky D's chord chart

Do you have the degree's of angle to accompany the chord chart?
    ROCK

Rock,

I don't mean to overstep here, but I think the idea is to eliminate the need for a protractor by using the circle as a starting point. Once you know the length of each chord, the angles will come naturally inside the circle. If you want to double check a layout design with the protractor, you can divide 360 by the number of sides and this will give the degree of angle. Hope this helps!
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
    The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
      Rock,

I don't mean to overstep here, but I think the idea is to eliminate the need for a protractor by using the circle as a starting point. Once you know the length of each chord, the angles will come naturally inside the circle. If you want to double check a layout design with the protractor, you can divide 360 by the number of sides and this will give the degree of angle. Hope this helps!
      Thanks Arbo, and no, you did not overstep, this is what this forum is about,....Dan has knowledge on certain aspects of what we do, I have a little, you have input, Rocky D has ideas, every one does, .......we can put it together here and find something that works,...that's is what it is all about, that's why I come to this site at least 3 times a week,....many minds working, and many ideas going on, and many solutions happening, I did not mean to be so inabderate with Dan, or anyone for that matter,... I graduated from the school of hard knocks, and I am sure that I am not the only one,. I just wanted to show that there is probably an easier way, albiet, not quite as accurate way to get the jog done, but will work, and with info like you and Rocky D. gave, well,,,,thats what I'm talking about.
      ROCK

Comment

Thanks, Arbo that is a very good answer, which is what I would have said. However, it may help if I explain the job in which I found the chord chart indispensible.

I was give the task of fabricating semi-circular platforms, to go around various aircraft engine parts. The platforms were varied in height and diameter. 4' to 6' high and 12' to 16' in diameter. I had to locate braceing and wheels on equidistant points on the arc. The chord chart made the locating easy. Once I had the dimension, then I marked it on a straight edge, and carefully layed out my pattern. Works like a charm and no need for a compass only to lay out the circle.

Comment

There is just one thing that confuses me about the geometry behind all this. Dividing 360 by the number of sides works with everything but a triangle which will work with 180 rather than 360. ie, a square...360 divided by 4 sides equals 90 degree angles. However, a triangle...180 divided by 3 sides equals 60 degree angles. Can anyone explain this without going into third semester geometry class again.

Comment

Arbo,
            Use the outside angle that is created, not the inside. Ex: you said 60 degree's for a triangle, that is the inside angle, the outside angle is the correct one, 120 degree's.
            It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Wait a minute, now I'm confused. I gave the answer to quick. Help!

Comment

Nice Al...I never thought of it that way. 180 being a straight line, 120 plus 60 equals 180. 120 times 3 equals 360...DOH! Silly me.

Comment

ARBO........I think you are going to have to repeat that geometry class.
                  bitternut

Comment

It's been way too many years...and who ever thought when you were in high school that you would ever have a use for this stuff anyway?

Comment

In high school I enjoyed geometry because I could see it and create from it. Algebra and Trig seemed to be a total waste until I went to CDI computer training 22 years ago. Electronics and math go hand in hand!

Now a days, all my component level repair is a dinosaur trade. No one cares about it, or understands it. I'm extinct.

Comment

Working...
                      X