A disabled ramp for the house.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A disabled ramp for the house.

This will be my next undertaking, I need it for myself and customers visiting our home for our front door.

-The ramp will be 8 or so feet long
    -Will have a hand rail on left side
    -Will fold upwards against handrail in three pieces to make it lighter and lock there.
    -I'll try my hand at some scrol work for the railing.
    -For traction I'm using expanded metal
    -For strength, 1.5 by 1.5 by 3/16 thick angle.

I have the material now and the measurements. If you have any ideas or suggestions. Let me know, this weekend it gets started.
    It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

I had one built on my house in California, and found there were strict code requirements on a ramp. Mine was wood, but as I remember the handrail had to be a certain diameter, and have a return at the bottom. But then in California, you can't turn around, without violating some kind of code requirement.

Comment

Al T.

I used expanded metal for a motorbike ramp for traction. It worked OK, but the result had a humongous number of nooks and crannies to clean, paint and that would then trap dirt, water and rust. You might want to consider either the stamped metal with a raised diamond pattern (available at OSH, Home Depot) or some stick down "sand paper" anti-slip material.

Did you ever get anywhere with the carrier for the go-anywhere tracked chair?

Bob

Comment

Speaking of expanded metal...please note that expanded metal for a ramp will only work if you put it down with the holes going the right way. There are 4 ways to put a piece of expanded metal down, and only one ot them is right. Study it...you'll see what I mean.

Recently my company bought a containment platform for our steam cleaner. It has ramps to go up to the work area, about a foot high. The ramps are 2 x 2 sq tube with 11 gauge ramp surface on which is the expanded metal. The holes go in the up and down direction which makes for no traction at all. They 16k for this thing! Now I have to fix it.

Comment

Most likely any building codes will defer to the ADA regulations. you can find all the info you want/need related to Disability access etc here

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/stdspdf.htm

It should have diagrams of ramp requirements if the local jurisdiction requires it. If it's a private residence they may not require it meet the ADA regulations but if it's a business they might.

Comment

Thanks Rocky D, Aweaver, Bobby, I'll look into the Regs for this ramp on the web.

Bob,
            I will keep in mind that expanded will need maintenance or replacement as it rusts so it'll be easily removed/ replaced.

The Tracabout project fell back on the list due too all the other quick projects that I needed sooner. It'll be built soon after this ramp is completed. I'll keep everyone updated.

Rocky D,
            Glad you told me about the orientation of expanded metal, I'll be sure to consider that before cutting and installing.

All this advice is priceless and I really appreciate it, it helps me make a better project and saves money!
            It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

AL T...........ROCK IS RIGHT THERE ARE 4 WAYS TO PUT THAT STUFF DOWN AND ONLY ONE CORRECT........AND THERE IS A FRONT AND A BACK SIDE TO THAT STUFF ALSO......JUST CHIMMING IN HERE GUYS.........ROCK
              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X