My Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Shop

I went out and took this picture of my band saw for those of you who wanted to see my shop. No, none of these people are me. See the old post about my new Harley Davidson if you want to see my ugly mug! This is one building, I have three, well one is under construction, it will be for painting only.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Sherman
    Shermans Welding

Great looking shop Mike. Where is the band saw?

Bob
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Mike,

Very impressive! I bet that bandsaw got a workout cutting the pieces for the project in the forground. That looks like a rack to sit air bottles on for a fire company. Just guessing. Am I close?
      Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
      The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

The band saw is in the back left corner. I need a saw that will cut large quantities and keep the cut straight. Arbo, if I have done this right, the attached link will show you what the finished product will look like. I did the complete fabrication and installation. If I have not done it right, go back and look around September 2002 for a thread titled "Maybe this time"

http://www.hobartwelders.com./mboard...?s=&postid=708
        Respectfully,
        Mike Sherman
        Shermans Welding

Comment

This project has over 6000 pieces of tube in it. All tolerances are
          - 1/16" + 0". It has 2100 plastic boxes, 700 lexan doors, 700 door latches (all custom made in my shop), 700 cut and drilled hinges, 12600 self tapping screws. The largest panels are 109" square before adding the bases. Being level and square is of the utmost importance, we will set this using a transit. When this project is finished the rack in the picture will be more than doubled in length.
          Respectfully,
          Mike Sherman
          Shermans Welding

Comment

Not exactly a home hobbiest project

Comment

Impressive shop Mike. Of course it is a STEEL building! What is building 2 used for?

Comment

Building one and two are connected. #2 currently has the shipping, painting and machining in it. When we get the new building done, we will move the new paint booth (14' x 27') into it's new home and use the old paint room (11' x 24') for a sand blasting area. Right now we cannot safely weld in the second building due to the proximity of the paint room. This will increase our fabrication area from 3200 square feet to 5120 square feet. We are a small shop by many standards, yet we manage to keep 7 employees working 40-50 hours per week. I also have two mobile trucks.
                Respectfully,
                Mike Sherman
                Shermans Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sherman
                  This project has over 6000 pieces of tube in it. All tolerances are
                  - 1/16" + 0". It has 2100 plastic boxes, 700 lexan doors, 700 door latches (all custom made in my shop), 700 cut and drilled hinges, 12600 self tapping screws. The largest panels are 109" square before adding the bases. Being level and square is of the utmost importance, we will set this using a transit. When this project is finished the rack in the picture will be more than doubled in length.
                  I hate to even ask this.....How do you keep it straight?

Comment

Ahhh Rocky, you have seen what others have not!! It is the number one problem we had to solve when we started building these the first time. Keeping hundreds of small, short pieces of tube straight and the panel flat as a whole when there are four welded connections every 8 to 12 inches took a little bit of thought. I did solve the problem and the answer involved the order the welds are done in, the tack up order of operation, restraint of the weldment and length of time in restraint. It also requires checking for squareness quite often and knowing how to build something square in three dimensions.
                    Respectfully,
                    Mike Sherman
                    Shermans Welding

Comment

HI MIKE..........WELL IF YOUR WORKING 40-50 HOURS A WEEK AND HAVE 2 SERVICE TRUCKS....... I SEE A PROBLEM......ABOUT MARCH WHEN THE WEATHER BREAKS YOUR NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO RIDE THAT NEW HARLEY..........SO DOES THAT MEAN YOU WILL BE HIREING ANOTHER EMPLOYEE TO DO YOUR JOB WHEN YOU INCOGNETO..........OR INTRANSITION FROM POINT A TO POINT B...
                      HAHAHA...................... ..............................BE SAFE MAN.
                      ROCK...............[email protected]

Comment

Rock, I wish I could find someone to fill in for me once in awhile. I do all of the estimating, all invoicing, alot of the road calls (don't tell anyone but I do this part for fun!) and all of the hiring, training and occasional firing. I supervise all aspects of the shop fabrication and all installation work. I weld almost everyday, until the phone starts ringing. I took a vacation to Hawaii in 2001 and I took my cell phone and called every single day. I would love to come down to Daytona in March, I just don't know how I could ever leave right now. Oh well, that's the price I pay for success. All of my neighbors say I work too much, I tell them that about the time their grandkids start coming around, they will be asking, what the heck does that guy next door do for a living? I never see him do anything but play with his motorcycle and his wife!!
                        Respectfully,
                        Mike Sherman
                        Shermans Welding

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sherman
                          Rock, I wish I could find someone to fill in for me once in awhile. I do all of the estimating, all invoicing, alot of the road calls (don't tell anyone but I do this part for fun!) and all of the hiring, training and occasional firing. I supervise all aspects of the shop fabrication and all installation work. I weld almost everyday, until the phone starts ringing. I took a vacation to Hawaii in 2001 and I took my cell phone and called every single day. I would love to come down to Daytona in March, I just don't know how I could ever leave right now. Oh well, that's the price I pay for success. All of my neighbors say I work too much, I tell them that about the time their grandkids start coming around, they will be asking, what the heck does that guy next door do for a living? I never see him do anything but play with his motorcycle and his wife!!
                          Don't let Momma know you put it in that order!

Comment

Mike,

How about you keep working, and I'll "exercise" that new Harley for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Arbo
                              Mike,

How about you keep working, and I'll "exercise" that new Harley for you.
                              Now, that's right neighborly of ya, Arbo!

Comment

Working...
                              X